Response- 3/14

The basic idea that just kept occurring throughout the readings, and as Silky and many people already mentioned and posted, is that family was important in Italian Harlem. Family was the reason Italians emigrated to the U. S. and the goal was to bring the entire family to the new land. To conduct oneself without consent of the domus or to stray from traditions normally meant that you were going to be ostracized and considered the shame of the family. And family was not only the mother, father, siblings, etc., but also members of the community that had become close to the family, known as the comari and compari. Their devotion to la Madonna seemed to facilitate the coming together of an entire community who admired and thanked her for her help.

I can also relate to some of the concepts Orsi mentions in these chapters and what ToniAnn, Jessica, and Liz said. My family is pretty close, although I am not Italian. Many of my aunts, uncles, and cousins live a 5 to 10 minute drive from my home. Throughout the year, we have small get-togethers, and on major celebrations, like a wedding, or the holidays, like Christmas, the family comes together to celebrate.  I was taught to respect the older members, and even some distant relatives are considered close family.

Like Allexa said, there were some paradoxes in this neighborhood that also exist as a whole in New York City. Family, or domus, life was central and people felt very close to each other. However, there was also tension and resentment because the younger generations didn’t always want to conform. For example, it was only acceptable to associate with other Italians and the people within your neighborhood. Not only did children have to respect their parents, but also the older brother. Although there was definitely love, many people also seemed lived in fear. But overall, it was their family ideals that kept them together.

This entry was posted in March 15 Neighborhood: “Italian East Harlem”. Bookmark the permalink.