Response – March 29

As many others have already mentioned, a common thread running through each of the readings for this week was the idea of “home”.  No matter the ethnicity, each immigrant group found their place in America and created a new life for themselves, which, much to their surprise, would become a home for them.  The Italians described in Orsi’s novel continue to flock back to their block of East Harlem each year for the celebration of the Madonna, with people even returning from their native countries in many cases.

To answer one of Rebecca’s questions, I do not think that Piri is a bad person, but rather that he is a real product of his environment.  It was so interesting to read his story, and I even found myself feeling so sorry for him at times.  I laughed to myself every time Piri mentioned how he was “keeping it cool” so as not to let anyone see any weakness in him.  How weary one must get after keeping up such a facade for so long!  Piri even mentions how strained the lines in his face had become and how tired he was from acting “cool” all the time.  However, everyone else around him was doing the same thing, so in order to fit in and make a name for himself in his new home, Piri had to act in this way.

I must admit that I was quite shocked at how mean and nasty the Italian boys were towards Piri in his first home!  These Italians are “my people”, so to speak, and I felt ashamed for them and myself!  I was proud of Piri when he stood up to the boys and finally made a place for himself in this setting.  However, it was not long before his family moved and he had to do the same thing all over again.  But this environment of tightly- knit gangs and such was the norm.  It was only natural and even expected of Piri to join in with the other boys in order to survive!

Regarding Sharman’s novel, I admired each of the featured immigrants.  Each one had given up so much to make a better life for themselves or their families, and had become truly changed people because of it.  The way in which Lucille told stories of her childhood made me smile.  I liked the fact that she was able to live in this new place while also having fun at places such as the Jefferson pool.  I especially admired Maria.  She was practically forced into coming to America, and all in the hopes of providing enough money for her mother to build a house.  Maria was the sole traveler from her family, and was dealt a really fortunate hand upon arrival.  I was happily surprised that she was able to accumulate money so quickly, and that she could move away from Delila and into a much better environment.  Where a person is really changes their attitude and perspective on things.  Maria was so unhappy living with Delila and her roommate, dreading each new day in New York.  But once she moved in with Eduardo and his family, things quickly began looking up!  In a similar manner, Piri actually came to long for his home in East Harlem, a place he once resented.  Location is a huge factor in the lives created by new immigrants.

This entry was posted in March 29 Neighborhood: “Spanish Harlem”. Bookmark the permalink.