Response- Race, Class, and Contested Turf

From this week’s readings, it seems that conflict, of any sort, is bound to exist in a community. Be it political, racial, social, economic, or whatever else, people will find that which is different in the other inhabitants of the neighborhood and transform that into a rationale for violence, hatred, or even individual tension. This issue has been touched upon frequently in class discussion and seems to be understood to some degree. The fact is that everyone is different. Everyone possesses differing opinions, goals, appearances, political inclinations, beliefs, and lives.  If one’s beliefs don’t infringe on other’s it should be the cause for aggression. Back to the main point, if someone/a group of any sort is suffering, intervention on behalf of the government should be made. As with the situation of Brownsville, community leaders interfered and their involvement has proved beneficial.

Susan poses a question regarding “singling out the blacks to give them a “better” education” and if that is the right way to combat the “war on poverty.” In response to her question, I feel torn. On one hand, I think that by separating blacks in an educational institution, we are further reinforcing the notion of racism— by putting it into practice, even if it is in a positive way. We are drawing a thick, black line, a boundary. But on the other hand, I think that since this is done with the intention to make things equal and have everyone around the same status, the government is attempting to help them prepare…by attending to their specific needs. And perhaps once the levels balance each other out… maybe then the integration will occur.

Joseph Sciorra in “Italians against Racism” presents an explicit account of what discrimination looks like and feels like. “…I carried a handmade, poster board sign that read ITALIANS AGAINST RACISM. My use of the plural was a simple expression of hope.” I found this line quite powerful. He was a lone individual who stood across his crowd in hope to have others following him. And though not all leaders are successful on their initial attempts, they still stand as indicators of people who yearn for change.

This entry was posted in May 10 Race, Class, and Contested Turf. Bookmark the permalink.