Response to Week 1!

I agree with everyone else who posted that America is definitely not a melting pot because clearly, as everyone has been saying, there isn’t one uniform “American” culture.  But I also wouldn’t say America was totally a salad bowl either because that would imply that the various cultures present in America stayed exactly the same and neither influenced or became influenced by each other and by being in America.  I think that it is impossible to say that cultures were not affected by immigration, because of course they would be influenced by the new things they are exposed to in their new environment (America), so I think America is neither a salad bowl or a melting pot, its just kind of a mix.  I can’t really explain it in a good analogy.  Like, there have been so many times that I’ve been walking down the street and someone walking in front of me is having an interesting phone conversation in English so I listen in, and right when we get to the good part they switch back to their native language and I can’t understand anymore.  But the point of that story is that they retain aspects of both American culture and their unique culture and language-they aren’t totally American (melting pot) or totally their own culture (salad bowl).

Also, another thing that everyone keeps mentioning is the definition of America and American culture.  Again, I agree that there is no set definition or category that is strictly “American”, but at the same time there are some things that ARE considered American.  For example, freedom is a huge American ideal- freedom of religion, freedom of speech and expression- this is the American value that even allows all its inhabitants to be so unique and diverse and hold on to their original cultures, which I think they do.  I disagree with Park who says that immigrants come to America in order to leave behind their cultures and ethnicity.  Quite the contrary, I think when they come to America for whatever reasons they come (freedom, more opportunities, education) they actually make an effort to maintain their cultural heritage. Just think of all the ethnic neighborhoods in America- Chinatown, Little Italy, Harlem-clearly these are neighborhoods struggling to hold on to their identity, not lose it in a mad dash to America.

Also, we have to keep in mind that coming to America isn’t such a big deal anymore.  I mean, it is, but right now we are heading towards globalization and uniformity among countries and we are losing our diversity.  For example, I went to Israel over winter break, and aside from the Old City, a lot of cities in Israel look very similar to New York- its modern, there are buildings, side walks, the same stores… When I got home and showed my siblings pictures, they were surprised that Israel looked so similar to America (not all parts, but some). There is just so much cultural diffusion, for example, with McDonald’s.  McDonald’s was an American fast food restaurant, and now it has become part of global culture and can be found in Israel, Japan and all over!  So I think that while immigrating to America will present a struggle in preserving your cultural identity, that struggle is being forced upon many people of many cultures who aren’t even immigrating or moving anywhere!  They’re not going to McDonald’s, McDonald’s is going to them, but they still need to confront these new influences and learn to reconcile moving forward and being present in our time, with staying true to their past and culture.  That struggle is even more forefront in America, but it is happening all over.  Fashion, food, phones, ipods, electronic devices- all of these things are becoming more and more similar among different countries.  I think it is SO important for everyone to hold on to their unique culture and individuality, or else we will all be homogeneous.  The same people, same places, same scenery- it would be a very boring world.

This entry was posted in February 8 Context: Race, Assimilation, and Ethnicity. Bookmark the permalink.