Spark – February 22

What gives certain people the “right” to discriminate against and suppress other groups of people?  This is the question that was running through my mind the whole time I was reading these chapters.  Each ethnic group mentioned in Anbinder’s book (Irish, Italians, and Chinese) came to America with specific expectations in mind.  They had all heard stories while still in their native countries from others who had gone to America as poor men and returned as wealthy ones.  Reading of the absolutely horrifying conditions in Ireland made me feel very sorry for the Irish, and I was glad upon reading about how many of them escaped to America.  However, I was very upset when I read of the bigoted views of the Irish towards other immigrant groups.  What made it alright for them to pick on the Italians or the Chinese?  Didn’t the Irish understand that the other immigrants were just trying to come to America for a better life?  For similar reasons as they themselves had upon first coming?  The same can be said about all of the immigrants, for each ethnic group, in some way or another, was biased towards immigrants of other races.  One would think that since all of the newcomers were not accustomed to the way of life in America, they would try and stick together as best they could.  In reality, though, each group separated and congregated mainly with others from their same native town or country.

It was interesting to read of how Five Points literally had specific blocks “dedicated” to certain immigrant groups.  How different it was then from now, where I can’t even name all of the different ethnicities of my neighbors!  I cannot say that I don’t enjoy this though.  As Anbinder pointed out, the immigrants back then did not want to completely assimilate into the American culture, but rather brought all of their customs here with them.  For this, I am so grateful!  If the Irish, Chinese, and Italians came here and tried to blend in, leaving behind all of their food, languages, clothing, and customs behind, life would be extremely boring and plain!

Speaking of New York in particular, the number of immigrants that made their home here was, and is, incredible.  My mind could hardly wrap itself around the numbers stated in Foner’s book.  The amount of diversity continues to grow, with people coming from countries I have never even heard of before.  Since I was born in New York and have not done much traveling outside of the country, I find it strange that so many people continue to long to reside here.  Here am I, desperate to see the world and visit other countries, while people from those same countries I want to go to are desperate to leave their native town and come here.  It was easier to grasp this concept when reading of the hardships immigrants faced, but now it is not so simple to digest.  I suppose it is quite phenomenal, that after all these years, America has not lost its appeal.

This entry was posted in February 22 Peopling of NY: Old and New Immigrants, Sparks. Bookmark the permalink.