Response – March 1

Like William said, I felt extremely appreciative and grateful for everything I have while reading these chapters.  Some sort of plumbing system was a rare gift to the people living in these tenements described in the Five Points and Brownsville.  There is so much that I take for granted–that most of us take for granted–so naturally, these readings did not sit with me all too well.

What really made me happy though, was the fact that, as a few posts have mentioned, the poorest of the poor were still able to have a good time.  They still went to night clubs and mingled with one another, even if only brought together by the fact that they were in such similar, awful situations.  But isn’t that what draws us to one another?  People are naturally drawn to others who are like them, who can sympathize with them.  As appalling as it was to read of the tours the upper class people went on of Five Points, I’m sure that it was extremely hard for them to relate to the poor slum residents.  I do agree that they should have done something to help, but at the same time, I could point that finger right back at myself.  How often do I see a homeless person on the street, begging for a few dollars, and think to myself, “Wow, I feel sorry for them but it was partly their own fault…”?  It is hard to understand those who are so different than us, as I’m sure it was for the upper class when they went “slumming”.

Now this by no means gave the more fortunate an excuse to disregard the poor, because they were clearly living in horrid, inhumane conditions, but it does give me a tiny bit more understanding of the middle-upper class mentality.

As for the socialism vs. capitalism issue, I agree with Liz.

This entry was posted in March 1 Ethnicity and Neighborhood. Bookmark the permalink.