March 15th Response

I agree with Alexa completely when she describes her amazement of the immigrant’s ability to get through each day. Every minute of every hour of every day is a struggle. For the Italian immigrants living in Harlem, many of whom were separate from their families in America, they looked to religion and their friends to survive each day. It is even more difficult to imagine the challenges faced by these Italian immigrants when Orsi describes the empirical role of the family in Italian life. He quotes a second generation Grandmother who stated, “But I know of only one way of bringing up a family in a decent manner, and that is the Italian way” (80). When the family places such a central role in a society’s culture, so much so that the inhabitants of the society have a special word for it – domus – it is even more detrimental to be separated from one’s family.

Religion played a pivotal role in the lives of these Italian immigrants, and the Madonna of 115th Street is a manifestation of this important aspect of their lives. When Italians were faced with difficult times, they journeyed to 115th street to ask for help. Orsi writes, “She was asked for help in finding jobs during the depression. He protection was sought for the men of Italian Harlem who went off to fight in the second World War…” (50). Orsi also describes the festas, which were major celebrations among the Italians in Harlem. This was a religious celebration to honor the Madonna; however, many Italians who didn’t frequent Church for services, still attended the festa. The priests view the festa as a way to raise money and religious awareness. It was also a way to bring the community together, which was another important aspect of Italian Harlem.

In Italian Harlem, neighbors and residents of the same apartment buildings were seen as part of the domus. He describes a common view of many locals – “If I come to your place and I’m hungry, I can be sure that if you have a piece of bread you’ll share it with me” (91). Many men came alone to America and were forced to become close to their neighbors. At the same time, Orsi discusses one couple who sent their daughter back to Italy to be raised by her grandparents so she would be raised with Italian morals and values. The immigration from Italy to America had a negative impact on the family for many Italian immigrants.

Overall, despite the hard times faced by many immigrants, the Madonna was seen as an object of comfort. People were not afraid to seek out her help and believed in her healing and helping powers, which allowed them to get through each day.

This entry was posted in March 15 Neighborhood: “Italian East Harlem”. Bookmark the permalink.