Will It Ever Change?

Apparently, we never learn.  Reading the chapter from the book From Ellis Island to JFK by Nancy Foner, it is clearer than ever that people never learn from their mistakes.  When the wave of European Jews and the Italians immigrants came to America, Americans did not greet them with open arms.  Instead, they started a racist campaign to support their instant dislike of these foreigners.  Even though they were the same skin color, they invented reasons for their discrimination.  It is alarmingly similar to the campaign the Nazi’s used in the Holocaust.  They used propaganda to discredit the Jews, just like the Americas used propaganda and “scientific proof” to show how the new immigrants were inferior to the Americans.

The scariest part is how ingrained the racism was.  Even Jacob Riis was affected, who worked hard to show the world the horror of the slums, and open people’s eyes to what was in their backyard.  He fell into the trap of racism.  How does one see what people do not want to see and still fall prey to the injustice of racism?

I understand how people can be racist against people who clearly look different.  I do not agree with it, but I can understand their fear of what is different and strange.  They people who came to America did not speak the same accent, and did not have the same customs as the people who lived here already.  That can cause friction.  However, the people who came did look a lot like the “original” Americans.  They made up the differences.  They relied on stereotypes that were not true.  There was even a study done that proved that not all Jews had distinctive noses.

I can understand their feelings because people are still racist today.  Unfortunately, people still have similar feelings towards the Spanish, Mexicans, and illegal immigrants.  They are just as distrustful today as they were back then.  Will it ever change?

This entry was posted in April 9, Gabriella Deane. Bookmark the permalink.