RIOT!

In Chapter Six of the Rieder reading, he talks about Canarsie and the violence that went on there. The racial tension between blacks and the other groups in the area was intense and terrifying. There were bombings of black homes and many who were attacked and beat up. Blacks didn’t remain completely innocent, for they also joined in the violence, being a part of stabbings and other vice. I used to live in Canarsie, obviously much later than the events described in the reading. I can’t imagine the racial trials and tensions that the blacks experienced before my time. It came to the point where some blacks were even attacked just because they were black. I honestly cannot imagine having to live in a time where I would have to be afraid that I might get involved in some sort of racial quarrel or brawl like these people had to go through. Having to deal with problems so great that students had to boycott their high school. Students shouldn’t have to worry about “gangs or groups collecting in hallways,” or “security in bathrooms” (Rieder 188).

Last week in class, we discussed during one of the presentations whether or not there would ever be a time when racial tensions or lines will be wiped out. After looking at the examples in Rieder’s writings, it’s easy to see that there wont be. Regardless how equal our society is today, there will always be those people who share the same sentiments as the people described in the readings. People don’t just learn their ideologies and feelings towards other races and peoples from the environment, but also from their parents and grandparents who came before them and taught them how to view the world from a young age.

This entry was posted in April, April 23, Christopher Pringle. Bookmark the permalink.