Lucky to Go to School

In Foner’s chapter Going to School, she discusses the myths and realities that surround certain immigrant groups and their successes or failures in the educational system. The first stereotype that she addresses is that Jews love education. Known as the “People of the Book” for more than one reason, from the very beginning of their arrival at the turn of the century, Eastern European Jews displayed a zeal for learning and education. They became the prototype for a successful immigrant: one who came from nothing but through hard work and education succeeded greatly. But not all of the ideas surrounding Jews and their successes are correct.

Although these stories are inspirational, the notion of Jews rising from poverty to middle class by means of education is not always factually correct. In fact, it was only decades after World War I that Jewish immigrants even pursued higher education. Those that came over earlier became successful through trade industries. In the early twentieth century, Russian Jewish children rarely completed high school, and college graduates were even harder to find. Children were often pushed off to work as early as possible because families could not afford to pay tuition and could use the assistance of an additional salary.

This educational trend occurred only a hundred years ago, but it is almost impossible for us to think of ourselves in this situation. In today’s economy, children are not only expected but mandated to go to school for many years, and in certain communities it is almost unheard of not to graduate high school. College and graduate diplomas have become a necessity in the job market – many high school students are certain from a young age that they will be going to college. Reading about the immigrants of the last century, it makes me realize how lucky I am to have a guaranteed education and the possibility to pursue whatever interests me. During finals week when I am complaining about how much work I have, I will think back to this and remember that I am lucky to be in school at all.

This entry was posted in April 30, Danielle Cohen, May 7. Bookmark the permalink.