9/1 assignment

0.   What does Art mean?

I think art is defined by two things. Intention and presentation. I don’t think there is such thing as accidental art. You can be intentionally accidental which sounds stupid, but take “splatter” painting for example. Pollock was known for his abstract art which included splattering paint on canvas. I don’t think he could have known where every single paint drip would go. The presentation aspect comes into play for modern art. There are exhibits that are plain toilet urinals and such. If you think about it, people define it as art purely because it is presented as such. But this conclusion still leaves vague lines about what defines art and therefore in the end I still believe anything can be art.

1.    What is your favorite art form?
That’s tough. Probably painting if I were good at it. I love realistic fiction. I think painting allows people to see that. Photography even if it’s photo-shopped still fools viewers into believing it was real, while painting lets the viewer know that things could be tweaked. Painting allows the artist to focus on every detail. What I feel photography lacks is “intention”. Obviously the photographer thought about the picture, but when you take a picture, there are things in the picture that you may not notice, while painting forces the artist to realize every single thing that’s going on.

2.    What is your favorite historical period?

I honestly don’t know my historical periods well enough to decide that. I think the growth of America during the Vietnam war is fascinating. I think the counter-culture movement around that time was vital to how America is today. The counter-culture movement brought America’s attention to women who have already began stepping away from the cult of domesticity. The movement also sprouted drug use which shaped our music today.

3.    What is your academic/ non-academic strength?

I’m not sure if this is the section where I just brag about myself. I really don’t think there is much to say except that I’m down to earth, but not really. I know when to have fun and I know when to work (sometimes). I could study hard if I tried, but I tend not to. I care very little about what other people think about me (at least I told myself that enough times to believe it) I don’t know if that’s a strength. This is a weird question for me.

4.    Do you feel comfortable with new technologies?

No. I mean its okay once I use it more, but for things I don’t see a purpose in using like the tech fair stuff, I don’t feel too comfortable.

5.    How would you rate your writing skills?

Out of 10? probably a 4 now. I mean I use to be better at expressing thoughts and spewing nonsense about a topic I knew nothing about. On top of that I could make it convincing. I mean AP American helped me a lot with that. After senior year and the summer, I feel like my ability to make an effective argument has withered away. Maybe with more practice, it’ll be a 7 or 8. I’ve seen much better writers.

This entry was posted in 9/1 Assignment. Bookmark the permalink.