9/1 assignment

0.   What does Art mean?

I believe art can be anything that appeals to a persons’ sense of aesthetic, whether it is a pleasing landscape, something completely abstract and intangible, like much of Jackson Pollacks work. Even the ‘shock art’ movement that began with Marcel Duchamp can resonate with people and spark interest.
1.    What is your favorite art form?

My favorite art form is the painting, but instead of traditional portraits or scenes from ordinary life, I prefer more surrealist art by the likes of Salvadore Dali or Max Ernst.
2.    What is your favorite historical period?

My favorite historical period would be the 60’s and 70’s of England, particularly in London and the Mod culture that emerged. The coffehouse-frequenting, scooter-riding, pork pie-wearing generation that produced bands like Joy Division, rejected the drab upper class ideal, and carved out a living doing what they loved and looked great while doing it.

3.    What is your academic/ non-academic strength?

My academic strength is definitely biology, I’m taking currently taking pre med courses. My non academic strength is fencing, I’ve been doing it for some time and I plan to join the team at Hunter College.
4.    Do you feel comfortable with new technologies?

I’m very comfortable with new technologies, I’ve never really blogged before but I figured I’d get around to it eventually.
5.    How would you rate your writing skills?

I haven’t really written enough stories or kept a journal to develop my writing skills, I realize it’s something I have to work on. I’m looking forward to keeping a blog for the first time.

This entry was posted in 9/1 Assignment. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to 9/1 assignment

1. antonyvent says:

0. What does Art mean?
    Art to me is all about the individual. No matter the form, it is the creative expression of the sole artist who created it. On the other hand, each person who analyzes a work of art can do so in his or her own unique way. No two pairs of eyes see the same thing.

1. What is your favorite art form?
    My favorite art form is music. I’ve been playing piano for almost 9 years now, so I have a strong appreciation for the subtleties that go into performing music. Although I might listen to the more modern rock and alternative genres of music, I respect the contributions that classical composers such as Bach and Mozart have made to the advancement of the art.

2. What is your favorite historical period?
    I don’t really have a favorite epoch, but I really am interested in lots of different periods in American History. The Revolutionary War era, World Wars 1 & 2, and the Cold War for example. I also like learning about the Medieval Ages as well as the Roman Empire.

3. What is your academic/ non-academic strength?
    I love all of the sciences, but my strongest subject is definitely biology. I like science because its straightforward and hands-on. Outside of school, I love to kickbox and practice martial arts.

4. Do you feel comfortable with new technologies?
    For the most part, yes. I’ve learned a lot by helping my parents (starting with how to turn a computer on).

5. How would you rate your writing skills?
    I’ve never kept a diary or journal or anything like that, however I still think my writing skills are pretty strong. I have a large vocabulary and am good at structuring my texts. Of course, I do fall prey to the occasional grammatical mistake.