9/22 Assignment

I randomly came upon the Hello Kitty statue that is part of Tom Sach’s Bronze Collection. The Hello Kitty has a foam core, is set in bronze and is painted white, while maintaining its iconic Hello Kitty look. I took this chance to interview Mariam Kirvalidze on whether or not this particular Hello Kitty is considered art and if it belongs in its current location.

Hello Kitty at the Lever House

N.B.: I had to upload the video onto YouTube since it would not open on my computer.

For more reading on the Hello Kitty statue and Tom Sach’s collection: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/13/arts/design/13gall.html

This entry was posted in 9/22 Assignment, 9/29 Assignment. Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to 9/22 Assignment

1. scroger says:

hi cynthia,

it’s interesting that you chose this scultpure considering I asked in advance to use it for my project.

next time please let me know if you want to team up and do something together because now we’re going to have doubles for this assignment and professor weinroth explicitly asked not to have doubles anymore.

sarah.

• Hey Sarah,

I actually talked to Professor Weinroth about it, and she said it would be okay if you also did it, because it’s not like we arrived to film at the same time with the same interviewees. And I happened to be in the area (searching for MAC Cosmetics) and I did it on a whim. Please forgive me, but understand that you’ll be able to still do yours and I will avoid this problem again in the future.

Cynthia

2. oweinroth says:

Dear Sarah and Cynthia,

We are fortunate that both of you have done this statue, since one have done the research while the other actually photographed the statue. So your unintentional joint effort made a good representation of the project.