10/3 10/4

Throughout my life I never once questioned the definition of “artist”, for me it was always clear. However it seems like a valid question, because now when I look back “art” was another obscure word with the most ambiguous definition. Without a proper idea of what art meant how would I be able to define “artist” Searching for a way to define “artist” proved to be difficult so I searched the web for a definition that would fit comfortably with my idea.

“An artist is a person engaged in one or more of any of a broad spectrum of activities related to creating art, practicing the arts and/or demonstrating an art. ” -wikipedia.

This very broad definition makes it so that in this century even those involved who create things with aesthetic value can be considered artists. Because there was an evolution on what considered art there was an evolution on who could be considered artists. As Professor Weinroth pointed out in the 15th century craftsmen were not considered artists. However, science came into play and art started to become about who can paint more accurately and then within the time between the 16th-19th century art began to evolve into an umbrella that covered creativity that wasn’t only realistic but visually beautiful. In the 21st century I believe the word artist is overreaching and quite overrated in that everyone can be considered artists for any talent, skill, form of creativity, or expression they eject. I don’t find this to be necessarily a negative thing, all this does is make this label a more difficult thing to define, and give some things considered art more value. Below are examples of artists I found through my search for a definition of the “artist”, which can include anyone.

ARTIST:

1. A painter, sculptor, or writer, who is able to use imagination, talent or skill to create works of aesthetic value, especially in the fine arts.
2. A person whose work shows exceptional creative ability or skill
3. an actor or singer,  someone in the performing arts.

This entry was posted in 10/3 and 10/4 Assignment. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to 10/3 10/4

1. oweinroth says:

In this class we seem to stumble over word definitions. Loaded words that were lost and or regained meanings through history and exchanged place or where invented. You have used 2 other such words we will have to touch: “Beautiful” and Aesthetic”
    The process of questioning definitions and finding categories will help in any research you do, but the most essential of the skills is to observe and think on your own.
    In future please do not use Wikipedia as a source.