I managed to confuse myself multiple times while writing this

I do not believe that music can be called a language. When I was thinking about language in general and what it meant for something to be a language I decided to look up the technical definition. The definition I found was: a systematic means of communicating by the use of sounds or conventional symbols. After finding this definition I was even more confused than I was before. Music is systematic in many ways and does have its own syntax. However musical theory only conveys which notes to play and when. There’s no deeper meaning behind it. It can be used to convey emotions and feelings but it can’t be used to communicate in any practical way. Although I don’t believe music is a language I do think that one day it could be made into one. Even in the simplest sense if you could assigned a not to each letter you could then use the notes to make words. In this way language could definitely be used to communicate. Furthermore if music is simply sound it could then be said that human language is music. We give different letter combinations different sounds and that’s how we distinguish between them. In conclusion its all very complicated.

About colinhorn

America is becoming so educated that ignorance will be a novelty. I will belong to the select few.
This entry was posted in 9/15 Assignment. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to I managed to confuse myself multiple times while writing this

1. oweinroth says:

Here is Leonard Bernstein response.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14VhzlcSuT0&feature=related

You can also read or view/listen to his theory of Music as language in his 6 lectures at Harvard in the 1960’s ‘The Unanswered question” lectures 1 and 2. (kultur 1992)