Is Dance a Language?

Dance is a language in that it tells a story. Whether that story is a play or a musical, or a story of the emotions the dancer is feeling.  It is not a language, however, if you define language to be something which means the same thing to everyone who “speak”  it.  Everyone who watches a dance performance, or even those who are performing, have their own interpretations of the dance. For example when we went to see Fall for Dance, in the performance called “snow” the dancer was trying to tell us what snow is to him, and he probably meant to say that snow was important to him, but to me it just seemed like he was some crazy guy lost in the snow. So even in that example we can see that dance is a language because it tries to explain a feeling through movement, but it is not a language because the same “words”, meaning dance moves, do not mean the same thing to everyone who is watching.  Another example of this is the “Dying Swan” performance. I thought that performance was absolutely beautiful and had actually looked like a dying swan, but then about 5 minutes later somebody has told me that they did not like that performance and could not see the resemblance between the dancer and a dying swan. I guess to me dance is not a language, since it does not really give everyone the same impression, but it is more like many languages all combined and expressed in a performance.

One thought on “Is Dance a Language?”

1. A difficult question… Now that we have seen the dance classes at Ailey, check some of my comments and posts on the topic and see if you think I was able to define some of it.