MoMA Punk Rock Review

Upon arriving at the MoMA, I was eager to see the punk rock exhibit because it was a period I had interest in, but no knowledge about. I was quite surprised when I found the entire exhibit to be contained within two small rooms that acted almost as a corridor between larger exhibits. Expecting to be immersed in the atmosphere of punk, I was disappointed to see a sterile white environment with the artifacts arranged neat and prim. I doubt artists of the punk rock movement would present their art in such a way. I believe a grungy set up with dim lights would have been more apt to capture the feeling of punk, akin to a garage.

What the exhibit itself did touch upon included many of the central artists to the movement, with audio and video available. However, the audio was presented through headphones, whereas a live performance or music played over speakers (albeit lowly as to avoid disturbing other exhibits) would have been preferable.

Our class activity, however, was very enjoyable. The mapping of different clubs and performance spaces was very informative and gave me insight as to where the movement was concentrated.