Spring 2016: The Peopling of New York City A Macaulay Honors Seminar taught by Prof. Karen Williams at Brooklyn College

Spring 2016: The Peopling of New York City
High Line Field Note

I visited the High Line on a very cold day, around 2:01pm. The temperature was definitely below zero and it seemed as it was about to snow. The High Line is a former industrial railway. The first thing I noticed was the salt on the ground in preparation for the possible snowfall. As I walked along the high line I mainly smelled the scent of water and ocean, as the Hudson River is nearby. Not many colors stood out, the area is mostly a mixture of white and grey. Compared to the actual landscape, the yellow color of the nearby billboards stood out.

Other than the sounds of birds chirping, I mostly heard the sounds of a busy city life. I can identify the sound of buses, cars and police sirens among others. Other than English, I hear many languages spoken by people (presumably tourists)  as I pass them. Korean and Spanish were two of the languages I heard, along with many that I didn’t know.

On the High Line, I can see joggers, people taking pictures and walking around. I also observed an artist making an artwork with cans outside despite the cold weather. From what I can see that day, there was no one eating food or drinking. Perhaps there would be more of these activities in a warmer weather. I also saw some occasional seagulls flying around. All the plants (trees, bushes) at the site were barren.

Overall, the trip was pleasant sans the coldness. It was my first time to the High Line, before that I didn’t know the general area or why people would go there for. After this trip, I think I found a new thinking spot. I would visit the High Line again in warmer weather.