Spring 2016: The Peopling of New York City A Macaulay Honors Seminar taught by Prof. Karen Williams at Brooklyn College

Spring 2016: The Peopling of New York City
Asian America

While reading “Making the Model Minority Myth” by Robert. G. Lee, I could not help but laugh at how true of a description of Asians in America we were given. A lot of the characteristics of Asian Americans talked about in the article resonated with me because as an Asian American myself I can say that a lot of this stuff is the real deal. As a kid my parents would also talk about “working hard” and “having good work ethic” in order to have success in life. Obviously, that idea of good work ethic didn’t get to me as I am doing this discussion blog post at 1 a.m., a few hours before this is due. Because of this, I surely have brought great shame upon my family and somewhere (up there) my old Asian ancestors are looking down and shaking their heads in disapproval.

It was funny to read an article that for the most part glorified the “Asian American as the model minority” and how people of other racial backgrounds should follow and emulate the Asian mentality and way of life. Essentially, the essay points out that many people believe that the pathway to more success is being Asian. I never thought I would read anything that praised Asian people for being who they are as much as this article did. Bravo, Mr. Lee.

I’m all for Asian (AZN) pride and stuff like that, but growing up in an Asian household and being Asian in America I just want to say that this lifestyle isn’t all that it’s cracked up to be. Sure, Asian food is pretty darn good and being Asian gives you some street cred in Chinatown. But with being Asian, comes a lot of expectations (the Asian “keys to more success” as I call them) that the article also talks about:

1. Work hard and have good work ethic in order to be successful.
  2. Be self-sufficient (don’t rely on government welfare, but rather on yourself and your intuition).
  3. Maintain a strong family unit and give back to your parents when you are older.
  4. Avoid anything out of the ordinary (“spiked hair and blue lipstick” are no-no’s).
  5. Remain silent and submissive even if it means lacking social consciousness.

These expectations seem like ideal ways to keep yourself in line and make sure that you are focused on doing everything you can to have a better life for yourself, your parents, and you future offsprings. But is it really worth giving up that sense of freedom and liberation that living in America offers you?

Growing up around Chinatown, I’ve seen Chinese immigrants work on their hands and knees for hours on end doing what they have to do to make even the slightest bit of cash to live on and to send back home to China. I’ve seen second-generation Asian immigrants fall under immense pressure to do good in school just so they can become a doctor or a lawyer even if they don’t want to be one. Most importantly, I’ve seen no strikes, protests, #AsianLivesMatter movements, or news reports when an Asian immigrant has been mistreated or killed whether by accident or intentionally. It’s not because people don’t care, but it’s because we as Asians have chosen to live out this “Asian model minority myth”.