Spring 2016: The Peopling of New York City A Macaulay Honors Seminar taught by Prof. Karen Williams at Brooklyn College

Spring 2016: The Peopling of New York City
Invisible actually not so invisible?

In live there are many times that an in visible thing plays a role in our daily lives. Throughout history we have learned about the invisible hand, and invisible lines and thresholds. But if they make such a difference in our lives…why do we refer to them as invisible?

After reading “White Privilege: Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack” by Peggy McIntosh, I felt a little offended; almost embarrassed, ashamed, and regretted that I was born white; the author says, “As my racial group was being made confident, comfortable and oblivious, other groups were being made unconfident and uncomfortable and alienated.” Although I can agree that sometimes we make decisions unconsciously and things are often planted into our subconscious based on our surroundings, I don’t think that all white people should be placed into a group of assuming privileges. There are people of other races that have just the same opportunities and sometimes even more than people that are white. I feel like as a society we need to get over the stigma that white people feel special. The statement, “My skin color was an asset,” is something that I think that over the years we have make progress on.

The author says, “Whites are taught to think of their lives as morally, neutral, normative, and average, and also ideal so that when we work to benefit others, this is seen as work that will allow “them” to be more like “us.”” I disagree greatly with this setting. No one walks around stating that they have to change this person to be more “white.” When you help a person you are helping them better themselves, better who they are individually regardless of their race, ethnicity, or cultural background.

I don’t think that the differences in income, poverty, education, and occupation and races will end tomorrow, but I do think that if we stop focusing on the differences and rather focus on equality and the value of people and diversity, people subconsciously will be programed to appreciate and accept variety. In today’s day and age we feel “white privilege” so much because different races are afraid to break out of the stereotype of their race. Word of advice: don’t be scared, for every person that will reject you, there will always be someone who will accept, value, and welcome you. By have a more openhearted environment, over years to come, everyone will be able to have privileges.