Some of my projects for MHC Seminars

Though by no means comprehensive, this section contains some of my projects completed as an ITF for the Macaulay seminars at Brooklyn College. 

Projects by Seminar

Seminar 1: “Writing about dance (or any other type of art)”

A series of posts written for Seminar 1, “The Arts in New York City,” taught by Prof. Natov (Fall 2016) to help students write about dance. This series includes excerpts from texts by dance historians and critics, links to videos of dancers, and activities from the book Writing Analytically (5th edition) by David Rosenwasser and Jill Stephens. Though these posts specifically address writing about dance and choreography, I wanted to create a series that offered students exercises and examples that they could modify so as to write about any form of art encountered while taking Seminar 1.

Seminar 2 Projects

This page showcases some of my work developed for Seminar 2 (Prof. Karen Williams, Spring 2016) to help students with their final research project, an ethnographic study of a New York City neighborhood, presented as an eportfolio. During the semester, the professor and I decided to hold an ITF Tech Day so that I could meet with each student group to answer their questions about the research project, eportfolio development, and any other issues. All Seminar 2 student eportfolios are archived at the Seminar 2 Encyclopedia, and it is very cool that two groups from this class had their eportfolios chosen as “Featured Sites.” 

An art historian writes for Science Forward

How does an art historian write for Seminar 3, Science Forward? Here are some examples of what I’ve written for Science Forward course eportfolios (Fall 2015, Fall 2016).

Paris is Burning and Understanding the Past and Future of New York

These two posts were written as examples for students in Seminar 4, Shaping the Future of New York City, in Spring 2016. The first post was written with the intent of drawing on the skills developed in the first three seminars: an understanding of the arts in New York City; the role of immigration and migration in New York City; and data collection methods (science senses) from Science Forward. Using the neighborhood featured in the 1992 documentary “Paris is Burning,” the post series introduces the tool Social Explorer to look up census data to compare and contrast the changes in the neighborhood since the filming of the documentary.