Fall for Dance

Rigoletto was an opera experience one should not forget. It was nothing I thought it would be. I thought it would be cartoonish, with fat ladies singing. Instead it was an elaborate story, with amazing music and talented actors.

Before attending the opera, I was informed that it was the singing was to be in Italian. I was also told that there would also be subtitles for us to read. My first reaction was “Great, my head will be moving up and down the whole evening, and I will probably miss about half the opera reading this thing.” Fortunately, I was wrong. The singing was dramatic and the singers held the notes for a long time, giving me the time to read the subtitles. Looking at the other seats, I thought that I was the only one using the subtitles, making me feel stupid. I then realized, around the second intermission, that the angle you look at the other screens causes the words not to appear.

The music was fantastic. Even if the subtitles were not there, one could feel the mood of the situation. The acting was better than I expected. The setting was luxurious as well. The only thing that was bothering me was the setting for the first scene. If it was the daytime, why was the background like duskish. As a musician, the most important thing to me was the how the orchestra performed. I was amazed by the melody and how it complemented the singers’ voices. The violins in the first act were very appealing as well.

The only thing more amazing than the music was the fact that I asked about replacements is the singer was sick and lo and behold, one of the singers got sick but continued.My only complaint was not being able to get the drink I wanted and ended up spending six dollars on a cup of Sprite The only thing still on my mind was what the giant gold thing on the top of the stage. No one online knew, and like the number of licks to get to the center of a tootsie pop, we may never know.

This entry was posted in Fall For Dance, Peter Yip. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Fall for Dance