Citizen Science Reflection

This article brought me back to my BioBlitz experience. While I was there, I recall thinking that this activity was primarily a waste of time. Here we were snapping pictures and recording data of various plants, lichen, insects, and animals- but for what purpose? At the end of our shift, one of the guides reminded all of us to send in all our data via iNaturalist so it can be reviewed, edited, and used. My immediate thought process was who is she kidding? Is she really going to use data that some college sophomores gathered in a mandatory activity one day in the park? But, now, after reading this article, I realize that no she was not joking and yes she does plan on using the information gathered.

This idea really fascinates me. It is quite intriguing that the average individual, no matter what age has a chance to participate in the science enterprise in a real way. One does not have to just simply enjoy a nature walk or museum visits or private study in a specific field to partake in science. But, rather, one can really be a true part of science, even without the degree, experience, or lab coat.

In this manner, the six strands are fully met. First, the citizen scientists are people who are interested in participating and want to volunteer. Second, they come in with or are given a briefing on the scientific concepts. Third, they participate in the activity, observe, and record data. Fourth, they review their data and understand how it is being used and what it really means. Fifth, they use the tools of science in order to make their observations and use the language of science to record the data. Sixth, they identify with science by recognizing the fact that they are really true participants in the enterprise. They are just as critical and vital in the field of scientific study and research as the professional scientists and researchers. And, this acknowledgement makes the experience a very rewarding one.