Public Art in Kensington: “React, Respect, Intersect”

“React, Respect, Intersect”, located near the intersection of East 5th Street and Church Avenue, is a piece of public art I pass by all the time in my neighborhood of 18 years — Kensington. A bare wall only until recently (in 2011 the painting was complete through the support of the NYC Department of Transportation), it was no shock that I immediately prized it as an exciting new addition to my long-time neighborhood. The bright colors, large size and eye-catching geometry were the first things that attracted my attention but a deeper delve into why it was created helped me appreciate it so much more. Now, during weekend grocery shopping and long walks from school, I feel grateful to be able to admire and reflect on such a relevant work of art in the comfort of my own neighborhood.

With a colorful array of intersecting paths (i.e. F train line tracks, highway with white buses/red cars and a green road full of crossing children, elderly, skateboarders, bicyclists and even pets all depicted as figures in orange), two thirds of the mural depict the “hustle and bustle” so common in New York City. On the other end of the mural is a young girl. Regardless of which approach the viewer chooses, whether it be directly facing, walking past the side or even driving past the art, the image of the girl stands out. She is seen putting her hand out, palm toward the viewer, as if to say “stop”, while also holding a large, red octagonal sign with “RESPECT” written in white.

Enlarge

Although meant to last forever, the mural may not remain perfectly visible for long (with a large tree covering parts of it and some graffiti writing on the bottom right). The message gained from the art, however, is certainly meant to last — no matter the circumstances.

This is an acrylic based, permanent, city- commissioned work of art initiated by the Groundswell Community Mural Project, a group “bringing together artists, youth, and community organizations to use art as a tool for social change” (https://www.groundswell.nyc/). Looking into this, I truly experienced the art in a different way. It was no longer a random mix of bright colors with a girl signaling “stop”. To me, it became a commentary on the importance of respecting community diversity and community safety as well as a warning about the dangers of traffic— an issue sadly becoming increasingly common in Kensington.

Starting with a fatal bicycle crash involving a close family friend in front of my elementary school then numerous car accidents at the intersections, traffic safety is an essential lesson my neighbors and I are no strangers to. It is no wonder that this mural is fittingly placed at the intersection of two roads, near a busy highway. The girl with the stop sign is given more meaning through this context of traffic safety, acting as a clear warning to drivers and pedestrians passing by. Additionally, Kensington is full of diverse people with different viewpoints, languages, and religions. It is no wonder that this mural fittingly holds up a large “RESPECT” sign.

All in all, although different from the illegal graffiti people usually associate with street art, the underlying message and befitting location of this mural are two things universal in public art. For example, Banksy had chosen to create art on the Israeli West Bank barrier wall, a highly relevant and pressing topic of discussion, to convey his views on the conflict. Had Banksy chosen another random wall, the message and power of his art would not have been nearly as clear. Similarly, this mural in Kensington takes the setting, diversity and issues of the neighborhood into consideration and conveys a message based on it.