Raising Awareness About Immigrants’ Rights

I have always lived in Sunset Park, a neighborhood with many different cultures. Whenever there are rumors that La Migra (ICE, U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement) is walking around from door to door looking for people to deport, my neighborhood becomes terrorized and sometimes completely deserted as people are afraid to leave their homes in fear of being stopped and deported by ICE.  A few months ago, some of my friends and neighbors that were freaked out when they heard the rumors that ICE was in our neighborhood and the police officers were helping them. For a complete month, stores closed early and the streets were empty by 9 pm. People were so afraid that some of them stop showing up to work. It’s unfortunate that people have become afraid of the police. It is much worse when people are so afraid of the police that they do not report and file complaints. There have been so many workshops, meetings, and news stories on how undocumented immigrants have rights and how they should act if ever stopped by the police or ICE.

“Cop Watch,” a mural located on the corner of 5 Ave and 44st, a place where many people walk pass by on a daily basis. I am getting allergy shots weekly, so I have been walking past this mural more than often. I have become more aware of the small details. “Cop Watch” was painted by Angel Garcia and students from Sunset Park High school in 2016. Sunset Park Cop Watch designed and commissioned the mural. I became aware of this mural while I was watching the news two years ago. The mural definitely adds a pop of color to a very boring wall. The mural looks fresh as new and it continues to add a pop of color to the neighborhood. It was obviously meant to last and the mural seems to have been created with red paint as the background. The mural is very noticeable, even though it is small compared to the rest of the wall that only has another piece of art, but it still appears a bit empty. The mural is still noticeable at night as there is a light that shines on the mural.

Protega a su Comunidad (Protect your Community), is written above the arms and hearts. The mural wants to unite the community to protect one another. Sabe sus Derechos? (Do you know your rights?), is written under the broken chains. Many immigrants still do not know their rights and this mural is supposed to raise awareness about their rights. Grabe a la policia (Record the police), is written at the bottom. People know of police brutality because there have been so many videos of such thing occurring. The mural lists the rights that immigrants have in Spanish as most of the neighborhood is composed of Hispanics. There are six rights that are listed:

1) You have the right to record the police.

2) Do not open the door to the police or ICE. Ask for a warrant.

3) If the police stop you, ask, “Am I free to go or am I being detained?”

4) If the police start to search your personal items, shout, “I do not consent to this search!”

5) When arrested, ask for a lawyer and do not say anything without them.

6) When you record the police, write down the officer’s name, badge number, time, date, and location.

The mural is definitely eye-catching with the vibrant colors, but the things that were painted are also remarkable. The chains appear to be broken apart and it seems to symbolize that the fear of having police contact is gone now that people know their rights. The hearts and arms seem to symbolize that the community is one regardless of the different cultures. The mural has many diagonals that point to the important question: Do you know your rights? Overall, the mural is supposed to allow the community to know their rights and feel safe whenever they interact with the police, which is something that the neighborhood needs in a time like this.