Never Forget

For so many years, I have been passing this huge mural on Avenue U and East 18th. Every time that I pass it, I am immediately drawn in by the bright blue sky depicted. However, once I turn and actually start looking at it, I remember that it’s not such a happy image. Majority of it shows the destruction and chaos of September 11th, 2001, with a main focus on hope for a better future.

As I’ve gotten older, this artwork has become more and more meaningful to me as I have grown more mature and more able to understand what is depicted. However, I fear that the more time passes, the less likely we are to “never forget.” The newer generations may feel less and less connected to the event. I hope that this painting will last much longer and perhaps provide local children with something that brings this piece of history into their daily lives, and therefore connect them more to what happened as it has for me.

On the painting, we see all kinds of heroes working together to raise a damaged American flag. This can be seen as clear symbolism. The flag represents America, and the damage to it can be viewed as the devastation caused by the terrorism and loss of so many heroes who died on that day. The flag is being lifted up out of the wreckage to stand tall again just as America as a country is going to find a way to stay strong and move on while still remembering everyone and everything from that day.

At first glance, the bottom right portion of the image appears to display three people crying and holding hands to comfort one another. This would make sense as the painting is a tribute to so many lost lives. However, upon further inspection, it seems that they are actually covering their mouths and noses to protect themselves from inhaling the smoke or debris. This seems to emphasize the harm caused by the terrorists on 9/11 and how people are still being affected by the aftermath.

The mural was spray painted by artist, Joe Indart. He uses contrasting colors such as the bright blue sky and the dull gray demolished buildings. This will have the strongest impact on its viewers during the day in the sunlight. This way, the vibrant colors can be seen clearly, and all of the details, including the butterfly, and the rescue dog, are more pronounced.

This piece of public art also contains a quote from the national anthem, “Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there.” This line is encouraging and motivational. Despite the terrorism that has occurred, we are still standing strong. We are still a nation that will work together to raise our flag. Ultimately the artist’s purpose in creating this mural is written clearly on the top right corner. We must “never forget” the lives lost, and what occurred on this tragic day.

This public artwork was sponsored by local businesses, mentioned on the bottom left corner, including a pork store, a pharmacy, and G.B. Cares, a local nonprofit group and is dedicated to all the lives lost on September 11th, 2001.