Diana: What was the first time you tried going into the cold water?

Swimmer: The first time was in a frigid winter so this isn’t so bad.

Diana: Where in Ukraine?

Swimmer: Yes, in Kiev, my boxing trainer introduced me to it. But overall the idea really came from the tradition from the villages when they would go to swim during their christening. During the event everyone would go in, not only old people but young as well. There is a very big fan base for swimming in the cold that goes from enthusiast to athletes

Diana: Do you like to swim in the summer?

Swimmer: Of course. I also really enjoy going to the pool as well. To me, sports are a “must have.” You can love it or hate it, it doesn’t matter but you have to have physical exercise. For example, take my friend that is swimming. A lot of the people her age will tell you about all the different pains that they are having from aging. For example, my boxing trainer, he is over 60 years old but there is no one willing to step into a ring with him, he is a very dangerous person.

Diana: When you walk around the streets do you dress warm?

Swimmer: Yes, I dress just like everyone else. You have to look after yourself.

Diana: Has there ever been a time where you have gotten sick from doing this?

Swimmer: No, never.

Diana: So you just always have to be careful with what you are doing?

Swimmer: Yes, the first rule to doing anything in the cold is to keep your feet dry. Even if you are barefoot it will be more beneficial to rub your feet than to shove your feet into a pair of damp socks or shoes. You can find these types of simple things out on something like “Discovery Channel.” For example, when I was drilling through the ice in Kiev and my foot fell through the ice, I went straight to the car to change my shoes. You don’t feel how bad it is but something this simple can result in a minimum of you getting sick and a maximum of an amputation.

Diana: Does it still feel cold to enter the water or not anymore? What is the feeling you get?

Swimmer: The feeling at first when you enter the water is that you don’t really feel anything but then once you get a little deeper, you start to feel rapid numbing of your body.

Diana: Is it scary?

Swimmer: If you don’t know what to do then it is scary but if you are ready then it’s nothing.

Diana: One more question, you don’t have to answer. How old are you?

Swimmer: I’m 28.