Nov 08 2009

Looking into early 1970’s

Published by Sijia Sun under Looking at Music - MOMA

Looking at Museum of Modern Art’s exhibition of Looking At Music let me realize why my parents used to worry so much about me becoming a musician/artists.

Richard Hell & The Voidoids

The exhibition features young musicians who doubled as poets who in the early 1970’s and initiated a “stripped-down, hard-edged, anti-establishment ethos.” (Quoted from MoMA’s description accompanying the exhibition.) If it is not obvious from their sarcastic lyrics and intense melodies that these artists were not spreading message of piety or following social conventions, the photos of chaotic drawings and videos of strangely energetic performances definitely deliver the message that these artists were not living lives with a set daily schedule and stable income.

However, that is not to say that these artists roamed the streets aimlessly. Actually, they explored the shambles of the city and created works of art using them as sources of inspiration. They decorated walls in the city with self-made posters and spray paint creations to spread their messages. They also turned abandoned buildings into makeshift theaters for their unconventional performances.

I do not know much about 1970’s American music. I know even less about the technical aspects. I barely know what kinds of music is considered punk or rock, never mind understanding the skills and imagination required to combine the two. But this is the topic of the exhibition, which, while not dispersing all my confusions, managed to convey the artists’ feelings of desperation and the urging need to break conformity.

3 Responses to “Looking into early 1970’s”

1.   Nathaly Martinezon 09 Nov 2009 at 12:54 pm

My parents and i think alike in many aspects, and this is definitly one of them. They know I’m not one to rebel to express my opinions and taste. They would surely discourage me from presenting them in such an “I’ll do it how I want” way.

2.   Amrita Narineon 09 Nov 2009 at 11:28 am

I agree with Rhianna. My parents do the same thing for all the same reasons.
    I think that it was amazing that their lyrics were so true to themselves. They were more interesting back then.

3.   Rhianna Mohamedon 09 Nov 2009 at 8:52 am

My parents, likewise, wouldn’t encourage me to be a musician. For me, it’s not only because of their attire, way of performing, and/or the type of music, but also because of their salaries, their success rates, and because of society’s approval.

The 1970s is probably one of the best time periods to have lived in NYC – the diversity was accepted and people weren’t afraid to sing, look, act, speak a certain way. This may be one of the biggest reasons I have for disliking the world we live in – bigotry.