Nov 18 2009

Let’s color the world!

Published by Sai Ma under Short Films

Modern films (regardless of the style) that are shown in black and white have a much deeper meaning than just a color malfunction. Nowadays we regard these films as depressing, sad and also, powerful. Much of today’s society functions just like the alien world that was conceived in the short film. We are working nonstop to meet the deadlines because that is how society has pushed us to become. Standards have been raised and thus, if we do not execute, we will be left behind. Similarly, the film featured the alien workers being whipped by the overseer to perform at maximum efficiency-anything less is unacceptable. When we are pushed to our limits, our moral drops dramatically and we seem to lose the will to work any further. And this is when the “genius” plays in. By inventing a device to alleviate our stress and perceive the world in “technicolor” so to speak, we find artificial ways to motivate ourselves to carry on whether or not they are truly motivating in a sense. The malicious, intimidating bosses, look like they’re having the time of their lives and the workers are lulled into believing they’re achieving a purpose when, in reality, they’re still stuck in the same old situation. The film featured a powerful ending, and that was to snap back into reality. While we may not be content with our lives, it is by no means an excuse to live in a delusional world that is too good to be true.

5 Responses to “Let’s color the world!”

1.   Aon 11 Dec 2009 at 11:33 pm

Zerxis, how on earth didn’t you like MORE?

2.   harshita parikhon 11 Dec 2009 at 7:18 pm

I though that that movie represented the never ending cycle of life and death—-success and failure. One person’s success is another’s failure and that success is not going to last for ever. There will be a time when somebody better comes along and surpasses the previous “big thing”. It was amazing that such a broad and universal message could be imparted by a 5 minutes short movie.

3.   Nguyen Chion 11 Dec 2009 at 9:01 am

Less is More or More is Less?
    The film was creepy in a good way. I SO AGREE WITH MS.PAVLOVA on the idea of this book being 1984. I was thinking about George Orwell (my favorite writer) the whole time I was watching the short film.
    I think the movie also accurately portrays the way we are living now and it’s creepy.

4.   Alina Pavlovaon 09 Dec 2009 at 5:18 pm

the movie reminded me a lot of the book “1984” by george orwell – the same mechanism of daily life, working, going home, working. being controlled by our bosses. everything around us industrial and lacking color.
    the movie (and the book) carry a strong point across. i think its dangerous how technologically advanced we’re becoming – we might soon be doomed to live the same bland lives as the little clay creatures in more. we might also be deprived of our happiness and any light, which is also scary.

5.   Zerxis Presson 06 Dec 2009 at 5:05 pm

Sai I am glad I read this blog post of yours. When I first saw More, I did not quite understand its message, and therefore did not like the movie. However, after reading your blog, I saw the movie once again, and have a very different opinion of it now.