Nov 25 2009

Joseph O’Connor-Unveiling a new person

Published by Sai Ma under Joseph O'Connor

d1_joconnor_smWho would have thought that Joseph O’Connor would turn out to be such a nice guy! For a writer whose writing style is very cynical, sardonic and critical, this display of public speaking as well as the fact that he spoke very extemporaneously on his works in general brought forth a new identity to this author. Baruch has always been privileged with noteworthy figures teaching in this university through the Writers-In-Residence Program, however Joseph O’Connor brought forth a new meaning to capturing the essence of one’s own writings into real life. It was hard for me to connect the fact that this hearty writer who is not shy about cracking a joke or two could have such a different writing style in his works. I also loved how he made references that were very relevant to the audience such as his “New York Heroes”. The fact that I just visited Patti Smith’s artwork at the “Looking at Music: Side 2” at the Museum of Modern Art brought forth a fresh recollection of what he conveyed about Patti Smith’s works back in the 1970s. His reading on Patti Smith’s achievements during the 1970s and her part in the revolution of rock music and her accomplishments as a female artist reminded me of how I experienced her works first hand at the Museum of Modern Art and this created a true understanding of the essence of not only Patti Smith’s works but also, what Joseph O’Connor found to be authentic in her works.

2 Responses to “Joseph O’Connor-Unveiling a new person”

1.   Nguyen Chion 11 Dec 2009 at 8:36 am

Man, I agree with you totally. I first thought that O’Connor would have a condescending tone when he talks on stage but he turned out to be extremely funny and nice.

2.   Zerxis Presson 26 Nov 2009 at 12:05 am

Sai, I totally agree with all you have mentioned in your post. It was really surprising to actually see Patty Smith’s exhibit in the MOMA. Had Joseph O’Connor not mentioned Patti Smith’s name, we might have walked past the artwork without paying much heed to it.