Dec 04 2009

Arr! I’m on a ship!

Published by Kay Mok under Cultural Passport Assigments

DSC_0497_2

After boarding two docked ships at the South Street Seaport, I was already seasick and had to immediately get back on the ground. Even though I live close to the South Street Seaport Museum, I did not realize that it consists of many buildings in Seaport and has real ships that the visitors can go on. President Franklin Delano Roosevelt, apparently is a great fan of the sea, despite his health condition, always went sailing, fishing, and even commanded the navy during WWII. As I relaxed and enjoyed the view onboard, I experienced what President FDR must’ve felt when he was at sea—calm, clear-minded, and hopeful. The clips of President FDR on the ships with his friends showed that he must’ve been really strong and tried to prove that despite his polio, he can do more than what we expected him as a president to do.

6 Responses to “Arr! I’m on a ship!”

1.   Aon 12 Dec 2009 at 4:17 am

This post reminds me of the time I went to visit the Intrepid museum on board the Intreprid. That was a cool experience, but when I climbed up high and looked down at the water, I got scared. I don’t know if the sea is the place for me.

2.   Nathaly Martinezon 09 Dec 2009 at 11:43 pm

I went there too! I loved it there, but I didn’t get to go on the ships..grrr. I loved seeing the ships all around me as I went from one side of the seaport to another but I would have loved to see more of them or actually go inside! I still loved it there though.

3.   Zerxis Presson 07 Dec 2009 at 2:09 pm

Very interesting blog; I was neither aware that the ships were part of the Museum visit, nor did I know that President Franklin D. Roosevelt was fond of the seas.

The ships and the sea must have been a very different experience for you, considering that most of us visited different types of museums.

4.   Fabiana Sagreraon 06 Dec 2009 at 1:06 am

How come I didn’t get to go on the ships?!
    When I went to the South Street Seaport, the ships were “closed”. But i did get to see some unique models of FDR’s collection. I particularly don’t enjoy all that US marine and navy stuff. Instead I liked the unique models such as the Boy Scout’s canoe and the French submarine because they reflected more culture. I think that being president really helped his collection grow a lot, since many ships were gifts from visitors.

5.   Jensen Rongon 05 Dec 2009 at 10:36 pm

I’M ON A BOAT MUTHAFU-

Anyway. The area generally has interesting nautical sites.

Before, there were battleships there for Fleet Week couple months ago. They allowed visitors to enter in remembrance of the people who died in service.

They also had guns you could touch too.

6.   Sai Maon 04 Dec 2009 at 2:19 pm

Avast thee and shiver me timbers; if thou sayest Franklin D. Roosevelt did commandeth thine ships, then he was exercising his power as commander in chief as well as the Navy. It is true that without his leadership during the 1930s and 1940s, the U.S would’ve been a completely different country and the world may have experienced a different outcome as well…