Dec 09 2009

Fear and Loathing in the Museum of Modern Art

Published by Jensen Rong under Cultural Passport Assigments

It’s really quite a shame that huge exhibits overshadow the smaller galleries in the MoMA.  These smaller exhibits are like the middle children of Modern Art.

One interesting piece that stuck out was “Vavoom!” by Raymond Pettibon, which is a series of ink on paper drawings of a short character shouting “Vavoom!” while accompanied by various pieces of text.  The general theme was that a barbaric and simple phrase like “Vavoom!” is a voice that comes directly from the soul, with the vowels and consonants forged by innate frustration and primal vigor.

Even nonsensical babble can be more emotionally impacting than the holiest of sacred texts, as the artist puts it in one of his works.  But one ironic bit is that the artist has to explain the meaning behind “Vavoom!” through text, despite claiming that it was pretty self-explanatory.  It was probably put there to further elaborate on the complexity of a seemingly simplistic phrase.

There’s a video piece, called “Sculpture Plein-air” by Arthur Zmijewski that documents a story of construction workers in a isolated Polish factory who collaborate with artists to craft public sculptures.

Though the artists serve as a guide, in the end, these workers are the ones who thought of the ideas and put it to action.

In the end, it is all an attempt to gentrify art.  According to the director, art has been given an aristocratic and elite air that makes it only reserved for the top echelons of society.  With this movement, the public is basically reclaiming art for the people.

5 Responses to “Fear and Loathing in the Museum of Modern Art”

1.   Aon 12 Dec 2009 at 3:46 am

I agree with Nathaly, that the big pieces really do stand out. But sometimes, there’s a lot to notice in the smaller works (like Michelangelo’s “Torment of Saint Anthony”)

2.   Nguyen Chion 11 Dec 2009 at 8:31 am

Does this remind anyone else of Edward Munch’s “The Scream” or is it just me?

3.   Samanthaon 10 Dec 2009 at 2:24 am

O wow, reading this made me feel like I miss half of the museum, and apparently the really cool part. But I am most taken back by what the artist was trying to convey with such simple pieces.

4.   Angela Ngon 10 Dec 2009 at 1:51 am

I can’t believe that this was actually at the Met. I thought it was at the MOma instead because it’s modern art. The picture you chose reminded me of Roy Lichtenstein because of the comic book style.

5.   Nathaly Martinezon 09 Dec 2009 at 11:20 pm

Wow, I always notice the bigger paintings over the smaller ones. I love when things just jump out at me. I recently saw a picture of FDR building ships that was blown up and I loved it, It really caught my attention. I’m sure this painting did the same for you; at least I hope so.