Dec 09 2009

Italian Opera: A Love-Hate Relationship

Published by Nguyen Chi under Barber of Seville

590_barber_intro

Barber of Serville

Rating: 3 stars

Reasons:

I love Italian food, Italian scenery, and Italian language, but I’m not sure if Italian Opera can go under my definition of love. My policy in deciding whether I like or dislike something is to give it a chance, so I went to the the MET and gave Barber of Serville our first chance at love.

It wasn’t long until I figured out that Opera and I were not meant to be together. Well, let’s me start out by saying that I appreciate and admire the talent that these Opera singers have when acting on stage. However, I am just not that into this kind of music. I, who thrive on American action packed movies, didn’t feel emotionally connected to the triangle love story in Barber of Serville.  Their songs were long, their plot was slow, and the climax was uneventful.

I am pretty sure that it will be a while until I see another Opera again.

7 responses so far

7 Responses to “Italian Opera: A Love-Hate Relationship”

1.   Ason 13 Dec 2009 at 1:39 am

I agree with you Chi, I won’t be back at the Met for a while myself. I just can’t deal with ridiculous love triangles for 3 hours, although to be fair it WAS pretty funny.

2.   solanaon 11 Dec 2009 at 11:38 pm

I agree with Fabiana, I didn’t think it would end. If it were to be made today, I think the directors would definitely need to develop a deep and more complicated plot in order to succeed.

3.   Nguyen Chion 11 Dec 2009 at 12:22 pm

Jensen, are you usually hypnotized by the 10 second advertisements? I usually just mute them or change the channel.
    And I don’t think Mega Fox would be good for the role. Hannah Montana or Miley Cyrus, maybe.

4.   Fabiana Sagreraon 10 Dec 2009 at 3:56 pm

The main reason for me not liking the songs was that they were so long and for no reason. I remember the last song would never end, and they would keep on repeating the same thing OVER and OVER again, I was like “I know you are in love! Just finish already!”

5.   Samanthaon 10 Dec 2009 at 2:13 am

I actually didn’t think it was slow-paced (especially considering “Tell Me Who You Are”), but either way I thought it was entertaining even though we pretty much knew what was going to happen; not that I’m running out to see another Opera.

6.   Rhianna Mohamedon 09 Dec 2009 at 11:55 pm

Same here, Chi.. I think it’s because we’re so used to our fast-paced lives that watching something as slow-moving as an opera can put a person to sleep.

7.   Jensen Rongon 09 Dec 2009 at 9:09 pm

Maybe this disinterest is a sign that we as a culture are too hypnotized by 10 second advertisements, one-sentence twitter feeds and high-speed snowmobile chases in movies.

I agree that the plot and dialogue was a bit slow-paced and I would say it was the result of being created by our more attentive ancestors.

If Barber of Seville were to be made today, it would probably be 1/2 its length, have fight scenes, CGI explosions and copious amounts of Megan Fox.