Dec 09 2009

Power of Presentation

Published by Mary Priolo under Joseph O'Connor

imagesCALA737K     I have never been a poetry advocate so I must admit I did not have very high hopes for Joseph O’Connor. Especially after I heard his very heavy accent and my struggling to understand him. However as I adapted to listening to him I realized the importance of the poem being presented as it was.

I came to realize that when the poet reads his own poem it is a very different experience. You can really feel the meaning behind it, and how original it truly is. What contributed to this was his accent, it made the poem seem different, even though it is the same no matter who the speaker. It seemed more alive, and more exotic. I must applaud Joseph O’Connor because he had the most daunting task to impress me that anyone at these events has had so far. He showed me that even though I have never enjoyed poetry before, that maybe I just wasn’t hearing it right.

2 Responses to “Power of Presentation”

1.   Ason 13 Dec 2009 at 2:10 am

I agree with Kay. His accent was awesome. It added some Irish “flavor” to his reading haha.

2.   Kay Mokon 10 Dec 2009 at 2:51 pm

I actually loved the accent right from the beginning! I agree that it made the poem more alive and exotic.