Dec 10 2009

Fall For Dance

Published by Samantha under Uncategorized

fall-for-dance-08

Considering this was the first dance performance I have ever seen, to say I was surprised is an understatement. I was absolutely disappointed with “Les Biches,” the first performance. I could not figure out the story line at all, if there was any, and the dancing was sloppy and unsynchronized. After that rocky beginning, I knew it could only get better and began to enjoy the rest of the show; the second performance -“Afternoon of a Faun,” created by Vaslav Nijinsky – was my absolute favorite. While I did not completely understand its representation of the relationship between the ego and id, the chemistry between the two dancers was captivation. The dance was unexpectedly contemporary and abstract; it was a pleasant surprise to learn that it was originally composed in 1912. It stood out the most because Mark Dendey, the choreographer paying homage to Nijinsky, changed the original piece from a man and a woman dancing to two men dancing. This was a beautiful, modern day interpretation of the work.

6 Responses to “Fall For Dance”

1.   Aon 12 Dec 2009 at 3:46 pm

What jungle scene Solana? Wow, I must have been REALLY lost if I don’t even remember that.

2.   solanaon 12 Dec 2009 at 12:14 am

I felt like I was confused with all of it. Only the costumes in the jungle scene helped tell me that they were animals.

3.   Rhianna Mohamedon 11 Dec 2009 at 8:42 pm

I wonder where Najinsky is from.. Do you know, Sam?

4.   alexxxon 10 Dec 2009 at 9:39 pm

Dance is a great rendition of feeling. The motions are very heartfelt the chaotic unsynchronized motions give for a very graphic representation. What is the meaning of life? I thought it was 42?

5.   Nathaly Martinezon 10 Dec 2009 at 12:59 am

It was the first story that set the mood to one that was not very appealing. It made us feel discouraged, confused an unilling to tolerate the rest of the performances. It is a shame that we did not get to enjoy it as much as we could have.

6.   Angela Ngon 10 Dec 2009 at 12:25 am

I thought that you would write about the last piece… I agree though. I really liked the second piece; it was the most heartfelt. The movements were fluid along with the musical composition.