Dec 10 2009

I Am Woman. Hear Me Rawr.

Published by Samantha under Uncategorized

Rawr.

Truth be told, when I saw the ad on the subway for the Whitney Museum’s exhibit of Georgia O’Keefe, her name sounded very vaguely familiar. It wasn’t until I saw her pieces in person did I realize I had seen her paintings and watercolors before. As an artist, I consider her somewhat of an anomaly, being so well-known for her paintings of flowers as well as skulls. While I think its interesting that she focused on those two objects, I don’t see the connection. I don’t think this is an exhibit that would appeal to everyone, but for the art enthusiast, it is worth checking out.

6 Responses to “I Am Woman. Hear Me Rawr.”

1.   Aon 11 Dec 2009 at 8:18 pm

I don’t know if I agree with Solana or Alex. This piece is obviously about how cool horse skulls look with flowers on them :D. But then again, since when am I an expert on Art?

2.   Nguyen Chion 11 Dec 2009 at 9:11 am

I love your title. Here I am being a feminist again.
    I agree with you that Georgia O’Keefe’s work is not for everyone.

3.   alexxxon 10 Dec 2009 at 9:22 pm

As life stems from the ashes of death. The painting is very symbolic.

4.   Zerxis Presson 10 Dec 2009 at 8:30 pm

Solana’s interpretation seems quite probable.

5.   solanaon 10 Dec 2009 at 8:10 pm

Maybe the meaning is that life can be beautiful, yet cruel? I like the colors on the painting though. And its done so well that it doesn’t even look like a water painting, but rather an oil painting.

6.   Kay Mokon 10 Dec 2009 at 2:20 pm

Is that a horse skull? That’s a nice watercolor painting, even though I don’t get its meaning.