Dec 11 2009

Girl vs. Boy, Red vs. Blue, or Cat vs. Dog?

Published by Rhianna Mohamed under Cultural Passport Assigments

At the Folk Art Museum, I  find “Girl in Red Dress with Cat and Dog” (yes, that’s the title of the painting); I, then, decided to walk up another flight of stairs and find “Boy in Blue Dress with Dog.” Comparing the two is fun, yet questionable. Boys are almost always associated with boys and red is associated with love, thereby fitting with a girl’s portrait. I wasn’t all excited about this though. There’s always so much generalizing and assuming! Okay, okay.. I’ve got to tell you guys something; when Solana and I walked past the “Boy in Blue Dress with Dog”, I thought it was a girl. The artist draws girly eyes, rosey cheeks, and a tenderly-held  flowers. I couldn’t tell the differences and not sure if that was a good thing or not. Art is supposed to be distinctful; the two paintings weren’t. I like authenticity and originality, something like me and you. 😉

6 responses so far

6 Responses to “Girl vs. Boy, Red vs. Blue, or Cat vs. Dog?”

1.   Aon 12 Dec 2009 at 3:37 am

I don’t get the title…

Just kidding :D.

2.   Rhianna Mohamedon 12 Dec 2009 at 12:28 am

Hahahah, Sai, you are such a facebook stalker.. I still love you. You would’ve enjoyed the museum visits with Solana and me.

3.   Sai Maon 12 Dec 2009 at 12:19 am

“No cameras in the exhibit Ladies”, other than that comment, this picture was just as memorable because I remember I was asking the same question–is is a he or a S.H.E?

4.   solanaon 12 Dec 2009 at 12:16 am

I remember this! I definitely thought they were both girls if it wasn’t for the caption.

5.   Sijia Sunon 11 Dec 2009 at 11:41 pm

Sounds very interesting. I would like to see the two pictures put side by side.

6.   Jason Waton 11 Dec 2009 at 11:41 pm

Sounds like two interesting paintings but why were they separated?