Dec 11 2009

How Immature!

Published by Jason Wat under Barber of Seville

barber of sevilleWithout much of a plot, Barber of Seville was not a very interesting story to follow. However, the comedic scenes throughout kept some of us awake. Filled with weird acts and an elongated and ridiculous plot, this opera seemed to be the most random play I had ever seen.But it didn’t seem to make sense to me how all the characters were all high class adults in the 18th century yet they all acted like children. All of them seemed to be making fun of each other as Figaro and the Count kept playing jokes on Bartholo. I realized that this provided some of the laughter throughout the rather long opera, but it didn’t fit in for me. it seemed as though the “love” between Rosina and the Count was won from a child’s game that the characters played. It didn’t seem like they fit into the high class costume that they dressed up in. I guess it doesn’t really matter since nothing seemed to make sense in this opera anyways.

7 responses so far

7 Responses to “How Immature!”

1.   Zerxis Presson 12 Dec 2009 at 2:23 pm

I think it was the childish acting, that made the opera lively. If they were all acted maturely, we might have dozed off half way through.

2.   Aon 12 Dec 2009 at 2:19 pm

I thought the plot was very stupid. Funny, but stupid. But then again, I thought Romeo and Juliet was pretty unrealistic as well, and everyone LOVES that.

3.   Amrita Narineon 12 Dec 2009 at 1:52 am

Everything they did was too much like a game. They didn’t seem to take anything seriously. The comedic moments held my attention, but the love and plot were lost on me.

4.   solanaon 11 Dec 2009 at 11:35 pm

I have to agree with Jason. If i were given a choice, I don’t think I would have chosen to spend my night watching this opera. The story was entertaining and there was only one character who kept my attention, Bartolo.

5.   Sijia Sunon 11 Dec 2009 at 10:41 pm

I don’t think that viewers are suppose to pay much attention to the plot. Just enjoy the jokes as they happen. I think the fact that the characters are suppoely high class aritocrates made the opera even funnier.

6.   Samanthaon 11 Dec 2009 at 7:53 pm

Yes they were immature but I think it was still a (relatively) accurate portrayal of the upper-class in that time. I think they would have been that immature.

7.   Rhianna Mohamedon 11 Dec 2009 at 3:07 pm

They seemed childish, yes, but I don’t think enough to have made this the title! In short, I see you agree with me in that you wouldn’t spend an evening at the MET Opera though.