Dec 11 2009

Malcolm in the Middle

Published by Rhianna Mohamed under Short Films

Short films are exactly what they sound like – “short”, “films”. The first two minutes was as confusing as putting together a 1000-piece jigsaw puzzle.  The opening scene was a man getting out of the bed after intimacy. Malcolm, a man working to get others to convert to his faith, wasn’t converting Carmel’s faith, but her life.  She asks him to never return to her house, but he insists that he does. He wasn’t doing this for the sake of the church or god, but for his own interests and needs. When Malcolm was invited into the home of his mistress, I knew something bad was waiting to happen. Carmel was pregnant, “after years of trying”, with Malcolm’s baby, but Carmel’s husband does not know this. Miracles happen but not like this! As a woman, she, her actions, and her ability to continue standing disgusted me. Someone as filthy as that, should feel ashamed to breathe another breath or ashamed to lie about her baby’s father; she is neither. Maybe it’s “an American thing” as Chi likes to call it. If so, I am no American!

If you weren’t in class that day, click onto this!Malcolm

He looks like a hero in the picture.. He’s more of a kid though, seriously.

5 Responses to “Malcolm in the Middle”

1.   Aon 12 Dec 2009 at 2:51 pm

What point do you guys think the filmmaker might have been trying to make about religion? Jensen’s post on this is interesting where he compares the film to a work of Bradbury.

2.   Samanthaon 11 Dec 2009 at 9:35 pm

I was also upset by her actions, but not as upset as Rhianna was! More than anything I felt bad for her husband for not knowing, he was so so happy that she was pregnant it was really sad.

3.   Aon 11 Dec 2009 at 8:26 pm

Macolm in the Middle is a great show. It’s a funny title considering what happens in the film with Malcom getting in the middle of the marriage.

4.   Sai Maon 11 Dec 2009 at 12:09 pm

Rhianna, you are very straight-forward with this blog. What you say is both philosophical yet logical and your reference to Chi was an effective metaphor.

5.   Nguyen Chion 11 Dec 2009 at 8:48 am

What a weird movie?
    Haha, I like your note on the movie being “American.” I think it all depends on the morality question to determine whether or not this woman is doing the right thing.
    Granted, she loves her husband and not the Bible-worshipping, Jesus-loving kid. So if her husband is happy, and she is semi-happy (though guilty as hell), isn’t that a miracle?
    Maybe, she should just talk to her husband about having test tub babies. I don’t know. Putting “God” into the equation kills the fun in everything.