Sep 11 2012

best friends for LIFE

Published by under Show & Tell

“Sisters by chance, friends by choice.”

That is what my sister wrote in the letter she gave me right before she left for school a few years ago. Since then, I have always known that Ali was my best friend. It’s the kind of friendship that doesn’t need superficial maintenance or reassurance. It’s as sure to me as the fact that the sun will rise in the morning.

We have the kind of relationship that wasn’t realized in some magical moment, some flash of clarity. Ours is the love of sisters, the kind that is consistent and that is ever-present and that you don’t have to worry about losing.Before school, Ali bought me this bag. “I just thought you’d like it,” she told me as she handed it over.

What else can I say? Its good to have a built-in best friend.

2 Responses to “best friends for LIFE”

1.   Natalie Mae De Pazon 14 Sep 2012 at 2:15 pm

I completely understand what you mean by, “the kind that is consistent and that is ever present.” My sister is my best friend and it will probably never change. Granted that our close age difference helped our friendship out but still. Do you and your, “built-in best friend,” call or meet up often? How far away is she?

2.   nayoungahnon 21 Sep 2012 at 6:08 pm

I really like your sister’s quote. I also think sisters have the kind of special bonding which you can’t really have with anyone else even with your closest friend. Yet, I’m in a way a bit scared after seeing some cases which the closer you are, the more you care for each other can suddenly flip to a relationship worse than archenemies. I think its important to remember the special moments and try to keep that whatever troubles two might face. Now that I think of it, I better go buy my sister her birthday gift and hope probably one day she’ll be kind enough to put me into her authentic moment stories like you did 🙂

Trackback URI | Comments RSS