Sep 11 2012

Chocolate Syrup Stains

Published by under Show & Tell

Nothing was working. My wrist hurt. The maple walnut was too hard to scoop. My elbow was sticky from scraping the bottom of the empty cans. Oh, the toils of working at an ice cream shop. And a busy one at that. It was very busy. The eight tables were all filled as was the counter. I was in the worst position of all. I was the guy they all wanted their ice cream from. Sure two other guys were working that night, but it felt like they were all only trying to order from me. I was the guy. The guy who wasn’t giving them their frickin’ ice cream fast enough. And I wasn’t. I didn’t have the speed or the nerve for them. I went into panic mode, shoveling sprinkles everywhere but on top of sundaes, blindly scooping things, ruining countless orders, making my service even slower. The shreechs of ill mannered children harmonized with the constant drilling of customers’ chatter, crescendoing into a sound that was worse than nails on a chalkboard. My co-worker yelled at me, “Stop fucking sucking!” A little while later, and a corny primetime television montague of everyone moving really fast, and me standing still, later, it ended. The night was over.
     Later that night in the safety of my bedroom, away from all the people, I kept replaying my shift in my head. And I kept getting stuck on what my co-worker, Tom Pardue said, “Stop fucking sucking…” It’s a really simple phrase, and maybe it was because he put it so bluntly, or because he said it in a high stress situation, but that night was like a brain fog had lifted. Yea, I should stop sucking. I needed to change the oil in my car, read that book for school. I needed to hold myself accountable for things. This wasn’t about anyone else, like fessing up to an “I broke the vase” kind of thing, but for me to know if I was sucking at life or not. And it felt great. I went into work with a different kind of confidence and relaxed mentality that made me smile wryly when the masses came back the next night. I was ready for it. I was ready to try not to suck.

The Ice Cream Shop

8 responses so far

8 Responses to “Chocolate Syrup Stains”

1.   Cassie Luion 12 Sep 2012 at 5:22 pm

At first, I thought you posted your picture upsides down because your shirt was not upright. Then I realized that you meant to put your picture up that way because your writing would be upright. That is a very intelligent idea Tom!

Reply

•   Cassie Luion 12 Sep 2012 at 5:33 pm

Why won’t chocolate syrup stain come out?

Reply

•   Thomas Seuberton 15 Sep 2012 at 11:57 pm

Thanks! And chocolate is tough to get out unless you get it right away!

Reply

2.   dfunderlichon 13 Sep 2012 at 1:59 am

I loved your anecdote about working in the ice cream shop! Your brilliant story telling skills caused the entire class to roar with laughter, and your story brightened everyone’s day. Your descriptive language allowed me to envision you frantically scooping ice cream as customers belched orders at you. Your anecdote inspires the audience to try harder. What was your hardest task while working at the ice cream shop? What other lessons have you learned while working?

By the way, I would like a strawberry scoop of ice cream with sprinkles.

Reply

•   Thomas Seuberton 16 Sep 2012 at 12:00 am

The hardest thing I have had to do at the ice cream shop is probably handle difficult customers. I’m kind of used to it by now, but every once in a while someone gets under my skin. The trick is to take a deep breath and give them what they want so they leave. There are loads of lessons learned from my job. However, many are ice cream related, but you can throw in being pleasant under distress.

Reply

3.   Natalie Mae De Pazon 14 Sep 2012 at 2:19 pm

I thoroughly enjoyed your story and presentation, Tom. We should all take a class trip to your shop and bombard your co-worker! Kidding. But in all seriousness, reading the anecdote while wearing the shirt was a genius idea.

Reply

Thanks and no thanks!

Reply

4.   Victoria Checaon 19 Sep 2012 at 5:02 pm

It was completely original to write on your shirt upside down and read your story while wearing the shirt. I enjoyed your story and its vulgarity made it funny. Your story reminded me of my first day. I did pretty bad, as well. But I got used to how the store operated. I actually live by where you work. Maybe when i’ll look for you the next time I visit. I hope you don’t suck anymore.

Reply

Trackback URI | Comments RSS