Sep 19 2012

The Factory of Soul Stealing

Published by under MORE

There is no greater fear than becoming something you swore to fight against. But that is the unfortunate reality for Mark Osborne’s claymation figure in More. At first I didn’t understand why they showed the children playing when the main story became centered in the depressed worker who has a dream to create something better than “Happy.” He used his own spirit to power his dream machine which he called “Bliss.” By using his spirit and putting it into his invention, he eventually loses his spirit even though he accomplished his dream. He became his own boss and the boss he hated for so long as a factory worker. He only realizes that he lost himself when he sees young colorful children playing. The color they have represent hope for the future of this dark and grey life where the cycle of despair continues, which makes him happy and hopeful. Even with the great “Bliss” there are still oppressed and depressed people such as the main character’s own factory workers. He lost sight of his true goal of creating a better life and instead brought about a fake version of “Bliss.” Now he can only hope that someone else will have a better dream and help everyone better than he did.

http://www.fxguide.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/08Feb/mad/comp.jpg

But Madame Tutli Putli is an extra weird short film. I first thought it was a comedy, the scene with the train riders in Madame Tutli Putli’s cart was hilarious, with the future North Korean leader child and the two guys in the suitcases playing chess with the train making every move and the creepy pervert tennis superstar sitting across from her. But then the film took an eerie turn. First of all the train was breathing, like it was representing some living entity, probably the madame. Then when the creepy organ stealers came on the train and began to take people’s organs I thought I was watching some black market organ business at work. The train began to ride extremely fast, as if running away from this grim reality that the madame just witnessed, which is what she began to do when she woke up. She was the moth that was stuck in the light. She was running away the same way the moth was flying around in the beginning and then she became trapped in the train the same way the moth was trapped in the light if the train. She couldn’t escape, instead she went from being trapped in one place to being trapped in another. It seems there was no running away from her past.

5 Responses to “The Factory of Soul Stealing”

1.   Stevie Borrelloon 19 Sep 2012 at 6:44 pm

Konstantin,

I really like how you described the moth, and its purpose in the film. After reading your critique the story made so much more sense to me. I like how you described Madame Tutli Putli’s life as a “grim reality.” It’s pretty spot on. She couldn’t escape the truth and was faced with the past she was trying to leave behind. Nice work analyzing this piece. It definitely helped me view it differently and understand it better.

2.   Thomas Seuberton 19 Sep 2012 at 11:11 pm

You talk a lot about the boss in your post. My boss once said to me, “You are going to find out in life that the people who are in charge, are not very bright. You will be smarter than them.” After a moment of reflection he added, “Except for here. Here that is not true.” “More” made me think about this when it came to the boss. Everybody thinks they can do it better. My boss used to have my job. That’s a scary thought.

3.   jackelynediazon 20 Sep 2012 at 4:41 am

I really like the connection you made between hope and the colors of the children. Why do you think the film began with their image however? And why were they more of a dull-ish orange-y color? I can completely see how towards the end of the film they can represent the hope that he loses. I also agree with what Stevie said about the connection you made between the Madame and the moth. What do you think she was so desperately running away from? She literally, and figuratively, I assume carried a lot of ‘baggage’ with her and by the somber expressions she had throughout the film I’m guessing she was running away from something traumatizing. The black market organ transplant thing was ridiculously creepy, and very irrelevant.. much like a lot of the things that happened in the film. I wonder why that is…

4.   nayoungahnon 21 Sep 2012 at 6:55 pm

Your interpretation of the endings was quite fascinating. Seems like the two characters are trapped in the never ending world of doom only hoping for the better. I liked your straightforward choice of words as you described the story such as “extra weird,” “creepy pervert.” 🙂 It directly delivers the feeling to the reader, helping them to have a better picture of what they are about to see or have seen.
    (If I could only add one more thing, I think the “future North Korea leader child” would have played with something other than Japanese anime looking figurines and bagles:) just sayin’…lol)
    -check 6:23 of “Madame Tutli Putli”

5.   nomibrodieon 23 Oct 2012 at 3:23 pm

I agree that there is nothing more sad than realizing that you are that person, the one you hate. It happens to so many people though. The mother, who swore she would never yell at her kids the way she was yelled at. The teacher, who wanted so badly to love each student, the way she was never appreciated. The one who bumps into somebody on the sidewalk and doesnt apolagize- even after she was so mad that that happened to her last week.
    I am fascinated by the fact that you brought this short film into our lives.

Trackback URI | Comments RSS