Oct 10 2012

Can’t Dance.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/f1/Loie_Fuller.jpg/300px-Loie_Fuller.jpg

I can’t dance. I have no sense of rhythm. I can’t even hold my body up either, but after seeing Loie Fuller‘s style of dancing really surprised me. When I first looked at it, I thought, that’s easy. You kind of just twirl around and hold your arms out to make the outfit look all as if it’s floating. Then you realize that these dancers that are performing aren’t holding their arms out for a minute or two. They are holding them out and up high for long periods of time. The amount of strength it takes to hold up their arms and be in constant motion is amazing. I seriously give them a lot of props. At a glance, it looks so easy, that this dance does not require much. Of course, I was wrong and there is more than what meets the eye. I think the one thing I loved most from the presentation was the idea that the outfits were always white and the only way you can bring color to the outfits where through the lights. I found it creative and absolutely beautiful. When we were watching the videos, I was truly amazed at the lights and how they looked on the outfits throughout the dance. If I could dance and I have a sense of rhythm, I might actually want to try this and see how much strength, energy and time goes through these dances.

One response so far

One Response to “Can’t Dance.”

1.   Victoria Checaon 21 Dec 2012 at 2:46 pm

I am glad you are open with your lack of talent of dancing but I am sure you could probably bust a move! Loie Fuller’s style of dance is an artwork itself. It can create beautiful images with pieces of cloth. Their arms must be brolic from holding such long pieces of cloth. They have great stamina for constantly moving their arms for a long period of time. I was also amazed at those lights and their outfits. I just wish that I could have seen it in person instead of through videos.

Reply

Trackback URI | Comments RSS