Oct 11 2012

And they’re still waiting…

Published by under The Waiting Room

I love watching documentaries.  It’s one of my guilty pleasures.  So when Professor Davis told us that we would be going to the IFC theatre to see The Waiting Room, directed by Peter Nicks, I was pretty excited.  The film shows one day in the emergency room of Highlands Hospital, in Oakland, California.  Throughout the entire day the waiting room is completely full.

It gives the audience an insight on how the other half of society must seek medical help, without any insurance.  Numerous patients’s stories are told throughout the film, and it makes people see that everyone has a story and struggle.  The documentary definitely served its purpose on exploring Obamacare and the general health care policy in America.  I know for myself, and hopefully for a lot of other viewers, my opinions of health care policy have definitely changed after viewing this film.

We see a man in his 20s, planning on getting married to his girlfriend, and has just found out he has a testicular tumor.  Neither him nor his girlfriend have insurance and the tumor must be removed immediately.  When I saw how long it took before the hospital staff was able to take care of this man my heart dropped.

http://a.abcnews.com/images/Health/ht_Eric_Morgan_nt_120914_wg.jpg

I also felt sorry for the man who was sitting for hours in the waiting room with a bullet lodged in his hip.  And for the staff, this is just a normal day.

There aren’t enough public hospitals across the nation to help all the people in need of medical attention, and it makes me see why health care initiatives, like Obamacare, have been formed.  There are so many people struggling each day to get by, and they’re trying to find jobs to get out of unemployment but it’s difficult.  America shouldn’t deny people basic health care because they can’t afford it.  One father was so worried about his sick daughter, and the audience could see is pain in knowing that he can’t provide the things he wants for his children because he’s out of work.

I know there’s also the other side to the story.  Some people take advantage of government policies and don’t try to make their situation any better.  There was the one patient who was a drug addict and had over a dozen visits to the hospital in that year alone, all due to alcohol poisoning or an overdose of drugs.  It’s people like these that make tax paying citizens annoyed that they are giving money to people who are abusing the system.  It brings up the question if the good outweighs the bad in the health care situation?

http://static.inqmind.co/content/2012/10/the-waiting-room-trailer/the-waiting-room-trailer_300.jpg

My answer is yes.  I might be a little optimistic and look at the good in life, but why should the people who work hard and try with everything they have be punished?  Even if only one person’s life is changed for the better due to Obamacare, it’s one more person than being no one at all.  I feel like a lot of the people against Obamacare just look at the numbers and think it’s too much money for too many people, but they have to see that each person has their own story and issue.  They have to look at the situation on the personal level and realize that it’s worth the extra taxes to help hundreds of thousands of Americans every single day.

I think what I like most about documentaries is that it makes people think and look into the life of someone else.  And The Waiting Room definitely accomplishes this task.  Documentaries should  leave an impact on the viewers and make them want to do something about the situation they just saw.  It might sound a little crazy, but I would love to be able to make a documentary one day that will impact people’s lives and motivate them to create great change, just as this film made me want to tell people how much Obamacare helps citizens of America.

http://qim.cf.quoracdn.net/main-i-d21c984f030eb2edd142f80307272da88bd5b037

7 responses so far

7 Responses to “And they’re still waiting…”

1.   Thomas Seuberton 15 Oct 2012 at 11:11 pm

Documentaries are not one of my guilty pleasures to say the least. But I did enjoy this one. I think I liked it more because Nicks opted to let the people tell the story as opposed to a narrator throwing facts out at the audience. This was a very smart move. Even though about halfway through I was getting antsy, I was okay with that. If his purpose was to make people feel uncomfortable about health care– mission accomplished.

Reply

•   Stevie Borrelloon 11 Dec 2012 at 11:04 am

I’m glad you sort of enjoyed it haha. Maybe one day you will come to the dark side and watch documentaries for pleasure.

Reply

2.   dfunderlichon 17 Oct 2012 at 4:12 am

I really haven’t seen many documentaries, but I enjoyed this one. I am glad that watching documentaries is one of your guilty pleasures because documentaries are an informative medium. I also felt bad for the patient with a bullet in his leg, and I thought his condition was more serious than some other conditions that were admitted first. I also agree that more hospitals are needed. What do you think is needed to be done in order to fix the current health care system?

Reply

•   Stevie Borrelloon 11 Dec 2012 at 11:03 am

I could go on and on for hours about what needs to be changed in the health care system. But to make it short, I don’t think there will ever be a way to make it work for everyone but the only way to make improvements is by having more people be aware and help others in need. It needs to be fixed on small, personal levels before it is changed on a large scale.

Reply

3.   Cassie Luion 05 Nov 2012 at 6:50 pm

I think you are the first person that I’ve ever met that enjoys watching documentaries. Like Tom, I’m not a fan of documentaries. However, I really did enjoy this one. I guess it’s because the way it was directed, it was just straight facts. The documentary made it as if you were watching what goes on the waiting room in real life. The way the documentary was directed really helped make an impact on me and makes me want to find a way to help the situation that is present at these public hospitals.

Reply

4.   jackelynediazon 25 Nov 2012 at 12:46 am

I’m actually a huge fan of documentaries too…Don’t worry girl. The History Channel and the Discovery Channel are amongst my personal favorites… I think they’re the best way to reveal the truths about society: both good and bad. We see people who deserve health care, we see people who don’t deserve health care and everything in between. It’s a controversial issue brought to light through real people in real difficult situations. I agree with you on your ObamaCare policies and although I wouldn’t say I have a very optimistic look on life, I would much rather pay more taxes than know that people around me are suffering unnecessarily.

Reply

5.   bmcintyreon 22 Dec 2012 at 11:47 am

Tipping the scales back towards the dislike of documentaries, (unless they’re about animals) I have to admit that this one wasn’t the worst I’ve seen. The way the emergency room was portrayed was ingenious and when I realized that this all took place in one day I was mortified.

Reply

Trackback URI | Comments RSS