Oct 16 2012

I.H.U. – Intensive Hope Unit

Published by under The Waiting Room

Anytime that the topic of any discussion turns to anything even remotely medical, I start to squirm. Usually this is because I tend to freak out when it comes to blood and needles, but I’m growing painfully aware that nothing good is coming out of our current healthcare system. After going to view “The Waiting Room,” my own experience of being stuck in a waiting room for a little over an hour pales in comparison to some of the stories this documentary revealed. I was shocked at just how crowded the room was, disturbed when I realized that all these people were without insurance, and appalled that we can call ourself a “first-world country” when our medical system is this bad. Beyond all that, however, the film gave me hope that this system can be saved, all thanks to an unbelievably optimistic and friendly nurse, and a doctor with superhuman stamina who’s seen working nonstop.

When you have people waiting in a line for hours on end, it’s inevitable that you’re going to get a few irritated “customers” when their number’s called, and when you’ve probably dealt with a bunch of them – in various states of medical distress no less – you usually get irked parties on both ends. Not with the triage nurse shown tirelessly assisting patients as they wait to be called to see a doctor. She genuinely cares for each and every patient’s well being, and she remains cheerful and sociable from start to finish, which is a welcoming sight when you’re witnessing a documentary that’s exposing the terrible flaws of the hospital system. She cares, and the fact that she goes that extra mile to bring even a small smile to her patients’ faces is a sign that if people like her can exist in this corrupted system, then it can get so much better, and be so much better for everyone involved.

The other “character” that stood out to me was one of the emergency room doctors, Dr. Scruffy, if you will.

It speaks for itself.

All throughout the film you see him running from patient to patient, going in to perform surgery and then heading back to make sure a stroke patient is able to find a way to pay for his medication. Then you see him holding a well-worn conversation with a repeat patient at the hospital, and the moment when he makes the decision to keep the man overnight because he has nowhere else to go is unbelievable. He’s an E.R., doctor, and he admits that his job is just to go and treat patients. Once that’s done, he moves on to the next. It’s not his job to worry about the safety of patients after they leave the hospital, but he does anyway – because nobody, and no other system will.

You cannot deny we have a broken, underpaid healthcare system, this film reveals too much to argue otherwise. But, maybe, if the world sees that there’s people like this nurse, and this doctor, overexerting themselves to the point of probably exhaustion for the sake of humankind, then maybe we can realize we need to make some changes.

Photo Credit

4 Responses to “I.H.U. – Intensive Hope Unit”

1.   Cassie Luion 17 Oct 2012 at 11:31 pm

I really like the picture you choose and the captain. I like how you stated that we call ourselves “first-world country.” Do you think there is a way to help this waiting room situation?

2.   jmukofskyon 10 Dec 2012 at 11:56 pm

I completely agree with you. The healthcare system in our country needs to be changed as soon as possible. What makes things even worse is that they’re closing hospitals when in fact this is causing overcrowding in others and is causing waiting rooms like this to occur. Do you think a new healthcare system will help stop this from happening?

•   yafav132on 30 Dec 2012 at 11:54 pm

I think the only solution is to hand over healthcare to the government. Greed is one of the primary reasons our healthcare system is so messed up. I mean, I find no logic in someone declaring bankruptcy over the costs of treating a medical condition.

3.   Victoria Checaon 21 Dec 2012 at 2:09 pm

Very clever title! I am not a fan of our healthcare system and this film has shed some light on the true stories of the sick and how our healthcare system does suffice. I enjoyed watching the nurse who was constantly energized and optimistic, I think she was the only one that had positively in a dreary place. This movie can be used to persuade people to have a better healthcare system with no long lines or large bills just so people could be healthy. I agree with you that there needs to be change.

Trackback URI | Comments RSS