Oct 20 2012

Die Carmen! DIE!

Published by under Carmen

Credit to New York Times: http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2010/01/01/arts/carmen-2-ready/articleLarge.jpg

I never thought I would see an opera, yet alone the great Carmen, and at the MetOpera. But I certainly was not counting on the amazing stage work and scenery that immersed me in this strange spanish love story. Although the acoustics gave me a slight headache and the seats weren’t as comfortable as I would have hoped, the music and singing was truly breathtaking. The orchestra was perfect in every way and the actors/singers/performers (whatever you call them), did an amazing job in every aspect of their performances. If there was anything I would say I didn’t like, it would the lengthy, drawn-out musical numbers of the first two acts. I appreciated the action and emotion of the last two acts much more. I definitely think it’s because I haven’t experienced an opera yet and the length of such an epic performance got to me. I would definitely go back to the opera, in better seats of course. And the food and drinks there were completely overpriced. Really? Twelve dollars for a small sandwich? Six bucks for a little cup of soda? You already made a huge amount of money from ticket sales, I don’t think you need to be selling food worth more than my seat. The opera is something that everyone should experience once in their lives, and hopefully a few times more.

3 Responses to “Die Carmen! DIE!”

1.   jackelynediazon 24 Nov 2012 at 7:34 pm

I genuinely enjoy reading all your posts. They make me feel less mean. The first two acts were definitely too long which explains why I snoozed for a little bit. I forgot my glasses that night so forget seeing from all the way up there. Regardless, it was really nice just to be there and feel like I was important even though I’m not. I would love to attend another opera and hopefully stay awake this time

2.   Stevie Borrelloon 11 Dec 2012 at 11:26 am

The first rule of going to the opera is to never buy any of the food. It’s too damn expensive haha. But I like that you really appreciated the stage work and the set. That’s something that I’m always in awe of when I see a performance at the MetOpera. If you ever get the chance to see another opera, I recommend La Boheme. That set design is absolutely breathtaking. They have an actual live horse on stage for one of the acts. It’s so crazy!!! Okay I’m done flailing about the opera. Bye.

3.   michaelmanoplaon 19 Dec 2012 at 10:18 pm

First of all, I love your title, very clever my friend. Secondly I found your complaints about the drink prices to be hilarious and I am happy that overpricing did not ruin your first experience at the opera.

Trackback URI | Comments RSS