Oct 21 2012

Trivial Pursuits Interrupted

Published by under Uncategorized

Throughout the first few minutes of Carmen I was checking the time and playing with the subtitle screen. I figured if I was losing a few hours of my life at an opera, I might as well try and learn French and German simultaneously. The first thing that distracted me from my trivial pursuit was the way the lights made the background look endless. At one point it looked as if the there was a circular set and endless open blue sky behind it. I thought this was brilliant. And then I started reading the subtitles in English, which was a fantastic idea because then I was sucked into the compelling story line. What really drove the opera experience home for me was the talent of the performers. Sometimes forty of them were on stage at once, all singing in harmony! Regardless of my initial attitude, I think the opera is pretty cool.

Night At The Met
courtesy of Thomas Seubert

3 responses so far

3 Responses to “Trivial Pursuits Interrupted”

1.   jacquelinebiermanon 23 Oct 2012 at 4:10 pm

Well, you definitely had a lengthy post. But seriously, you were honest and gave a great description of the Met. I also enjoyed reading the play in English. I thought it was interesting how we performed it in class and how we saw it on a screen, or subtitles, rather. I also thought the opera was pretty cool.

Reply

2.   nomibrodieon 24 Oct 2012 at 1:02 pm

A) I really like your picture.
    B) I started thinking about those subtitle screens. I think they are important to the message of the opera- it is a universal experience. It was fun to keep switching between the languages, but more importantly, it is important to realize that there were people who were actually reading them.

Reply

3.   dfunderlichon 30 Oct 2012 at 11:22 am

I liked how you incorporated your person experience( the picture) into your movie review. The waterfall reminds me of the Bellagio’s waterfall in Las Vegas. I liked how you incorporated humor by checking the time or learning French or German. I agree with you that the singing was amazing. What could have made your Opera experience better? What did you like most about the Opera?

Reply

Trackback URI | Comments RSS