Oct 21 2012

“Where There is Music, There is Hope”

Published by under Kinshasa Kids

“Kinshasa Kids” tells the story of a group of youth living impoverished on the streets of the African city, Kinshasa. Accused of being witch-children and causing the problems of Kinshasa, thousands of children have been thrown out of their houses, and a group of them unify to fend for themselves together on the streets. Urged by a “rock star,” they form a band and use music as their outlet. The film follows the kids as they struggle for survival and work to create their band; it concludes with the concert they perform for the entire community.

“Kinshasa Kids” demonstrates that no matter your situation, determination and faith can help you deal with and get through even the hardest of times. Although their physical situation doesn’t change, the kids’ emotional well-being is enhanced by their unity and friendship. They show that you can reach your highest dreams and hopes if you just have the courage and persevere. The head of their band explains that when they meet for music, “they are one.” They need to live to “protect music.” In a world where they have no other reason to live, music becomes their unified fight and their purpose to go on and keep hoping. For them, music and the concert symbolizes optimism for the future.

Wajnberg conveys this idea through music. When the kids are singing and playing their instruments, their faces radiate. They are filled with happiness and hope, and this feeling echoes onto the audience.

The kids discuss the reasons they want to put on the concert: mainly, they want money so they can get off the streets. They want to get an education and eventually get out of Kinshasa. One boy says he wants to do the concert so he can “become a man.”

Wajnberg wrote the script of the film based on the stories that the kids of Kinshasa told him. He says that his film is fiction in a documentary style. Although most of the film is scripted and staged, many parts of it are not. In one part of the film, a man warns another that a “white man” is filming them from behind. This is scripted, but it reflects Wajnberg’s experience in Kinshasa. The film documents the kids’ life on the streets, their struggle for survival. “Kinshasa Kids” evokes emotions of fear and hope. Watching the film, my heart went out to the kids who didn’t choose the life they live and have no means to change it.

Wajnberg’s shaky, unsteady camera films Kinshasa in its authentic state, presenting a very real-life picture of the situation. He presents Kinshasa as he views it, drawing from his experience while filming there. The drama is so intense that it’s hard to consider it may be true, but it’s also difficult to believe that it’s not true. On the one hand, the film is unquestionably fiction – how can something like this actually be taking place? On the other hand, it seems definitely true – how can someone make this up? Wajnberg blends fiction and documentary styles into a film that tells a deep story.

Credit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBWNkyFUQRQ

5 Responses to ““Where There is Music, There is Hope””

1.   jacquelinebiermanon 23 Oct 2012 at 3:13 pm

First of all, I really like your title. It’s absolutely true, and it sets a great tone for your post. Your post made me think of my own life, and how I have used my determination and faith to help me get through hard times, just as the children in Kinshasa did.

•   jtraubeon 24 Oct 2012 at 10:19 pm

Thanks, though it’s not my line! Its in quotes because I quoted from the film’s cover.

2.   pgoldbergon 24 Oct 2012 at 12:08 am

I felt exactly the same thing! At first, when I thought that the film was a completely true documentary, I was like, “This is crazy!.” But then, when I heard that Wajnberg scripted most of it himself, I was also like, “This is crazy!.” Either way, he did an incredible job and the film seems lifelike, whether it’s the case or not.

3.   nomibrodieon 24 Oct 2012 at 12:58 pm

It may be scripted, but as i mention in my post, it is completely based on real life! Wajnberg included only things that he noted to be prevelant in Kinshasa when he was there. Even though parts of it were scripted, I dont think the realism aspect was at all compromised- it just provides a clear framework for the film. Do you agree?

•   jtraubeon 24 Oct 2012 at 10:17 pm

Completely.

Trackback URI | Comments RSS