Nov 18 2012

Wild with Success

Published by under Wild With Happy

http://www.playbill.com/images/photo/W/i/WildWithHappy06.jpg

In the the simplest words possible: I loved this play. It was funny, emotional and quite moving at times. The acting was brilliant and so was the set design. Everything about this performance was executed perfectly. Also, the small theatre made the performance personal and allowed you to connect with the actors because they were only twenty feet away. Unlike another performance we went to see….the opera…ahem….but I won’t mention that and spoil the good taste I have in my mouth after leaving this play.

Although everything about this play was amazing I think it was the set design that blew me away. It sounds strange to say it but whoever created those intricate coffins should be given an award. I was awed by the creativity of the furniture and the different ways it was used. In one scene the furniture was used as a coffin and in another scene it was used as a closet or as a car. This also gave the play flexibility to change from the past to the present as the main character had repeated flashbacks. I also enjoyed the fact that you were able to watch them transform the furniture since it brought me back to my childhood days of playing with transformer action figures. I mean, who doesn’t like a car that can turn into a giant extraterrestrial robot. Granted, the coffins didn’t turn into giant robots yet I still found them to be pretty cool.

Additionally, I LOVED the acting. I do not say that lightly as I literally could not stop laughing anytime Gil’s aunt Glo came on stage. I think I was laughing so hard that I started to wipe tears from my eyes after one of her usual rants that ended with “praise the lord” this or “praise the lord” that. And her performance only complimented that of the Colman Domingo who played Gil. A homosexual, African American man in his forties who recently lost his mother. He played the part of a cynical son going through denial with wit and charm that made his character come to life. Especially when he ran into the crowd and continued the performance offstage. The audience must have also agreed with my assessment of his acting because when the show was over he received a five minute standing ovation, which was fully deserved.

Overall this play was one of, if not the best play I have seen all year. The success of this play can be attributed to the performance by the actors, stage design, good script and even size of the theatre. Yet it was none of these factors alone. Rather it was all of these factors working together that turned this play into the spectacle that it was.

3 Responses to “Wild with Success”

1.   Victoria Checaon 21 Dec 2012 at 1:08 pm

I honestly love this play, too. I was entertaining from the beginning to end. I liked how close the stage was to the audience. I didn’t need to squint my eyes to see what was going on. It was different compared to watching the opera and other performances from so high up. The transforming coffins were really clever! The overdramatic characters were enjoyable and humorous. Although, the play was humorous, there was a strong message that was conveyed.The cast definitely deserved that standing ovation. This was also one of my favorite IDC events!

2.   Brian Boggioon 21 Dec 2012 at 7:44 pm

I really think Aunt Glo needs a spin-off show. Maybe just an hour of her ranting and raving as she opens up caskets to hilariously steal things from the closets and wardrobes they turn into? It’s really one of the better shows out there, so I’m glad you enjoyed it so much.

3.   Stevie Borrelloon 21 Dec 2012 at 9:45 pm

I’m glad that you really enjoyed the show. I must say the acting was really good. The aunt was hysterical at times and really set a great dynamic to the play. I also think the coffins were a brilliant idea. They definitely added humor to the show. I do like to public theatre, being very small and intimate. It makes you feel special being in the audience. Like you’re one of the select few that actually gets to see such a fantastic show.

Trackback URI | Comments RSS