Nov 20 2012

A trip to MOMA

Last Thursday I went to The Museum of Modern Art to see The Scream, by artist Edvard Munch.  I was very excited for this day to come, because I know how world-renowned the painting is and it has been used in so many television shows and films.  It was almost disappointing when I realized it wasn’t the oil-painting version that many people know.  Instead I viewed the pastel version, which almost looked like a 5 year old had drawn it.  How was it that this pastel drawing was next to all these other amazing artists like Picasso and Vincent Van Gogh? I was surprised that people would consider this art.

But then I looked at it a second time.  I saw all the rough and distinct marks that Munch had made, and it shows the confidence in his work.  It also creates more emotion when you see the hard strokes of the lines.  It made me realize that sometimes the best art can be in the simplest of forms, but still convey a strong idea.  The saying “less is more” is actually very true.

http://www.sothebys.com/content/sothebys/en/sales-series/2012/impressionist-modern-art-evening-sale/overview/_jcr_content/leftpar/image.img.jpg/1329735207815.jpg

The other exhibit that I really enjoyed was the photography.  I have worked with film photography for a few years, so I understand the time and effort that goes into some of the photos.  It isn’t just pressing down the shutter and printing out the photo.  It’s making sure the lighting is just right, and the exposure is on the correct setting or else the photo won’t be accurate.

I really liked Birdhead’s work, which was a collaboration between Ji Weiyu and Song Tao, all about urban life in Shanghai.  What I really enjoyed about it was it reminded me of the film work that I used to do.  Each photo had a good composition, but together formed a strong piece of work.  I also couldn’t get over how large some of the photos were.  The technical process to make a large print is very difficult and a large tub is needed to develop the photo.  Overall, I was very impressed.

My trip to MOMA left me wanting to see more of the museum, and I will definitely be going back soon!

4 Responses to “A trip to MOMA”

1.   jtraubeon 20 Nov 2012 at 9:44 pm

I like how you put the saying “less is more” to “The Scream.” I definitely have to agree with that. Munch’s piece is simple, yet tells a deep story. Often it’s not necessary to do so much to get your point across. Which type of art do you think is more powerful – the extremely detailed paintings and art forms, or something like “The Scream?”

•   Stevie Borrelloon 11 Dec 2012 at 10:59 am

It depends on the art and the period. For me, I really like impressionism and surrealism, which has it’s points of detail and also has more abstract works.

•   yafav132on 31 Dec 2012 at 12:18 am

I totally agree with you. I find The Scream to be simple art… yet, the emotions behind it are enormous.

2.   bmcintyreon 22 Dec 2012 at 1:04 am

I agree with the notion that photography does take a certain degree of skill but it seemed that many of the pictures in those galleries lacked museum worthy skill. It seemed that many of the pictures taken were simply taken with little thought actually going into the shot. Just my personal opinion.

Trackback URI | Comments RSS